●Vacive

~Emerald~

vacive /● adj. empty

I froze as I stood in the middle, with accusing eyes, judgemental eyes, disgusted eyes, all looking at me, making me tremble.

How could I get myself out of this situation? The worst fear of mine had come true. There was no going back from here.

I could do nothing at all, my mind had gone vacive.

My life was going to go downhill from now.

~Kaylen~

I could almost hear a cheerful song playing in the back of my head as I baked with the little kid who was enjoying telling me to do this and that. It was a happy time.

"Just a pinch, Kay!" He yelled from his sitting position on the table, his nose buried in the recipe book. I was sure he couldn't read half of the words but he was trying really hard and I got to give him credit for that.

Honestly, he did know more than me about baking. His father had taught him well.

I laughed at his cuteness and put about a pinch of baking soda in the thing. It was my first time baking a cake. Or baking anything. Or doing anything in the kitchen. Well, except the quickie yesterday...

But this kid was something else, I was enjoying doing something I had detested since I was born and I still would, had he not been with me to give me company. Or rather, orders. He was so cute that in a matter of a few hours, he had even developed a nickname for me.

I had never felt it before, but the kid was filling up the part of my heart that had been vacive all along. Maybe this is what I needed. I smiled to myself as I looked at Jordon.

We were alone in the house as Emerald had got a call from the dean himself, asking him to come for an urgent discussion. I was happy actually, I wanted to have some quality time with Jordon instead of having sexual tension fill the atmosphere with Emerald looming around.

A question that never bothered to pop in my head decided to pop now.

What was the story of this family? Who was Jordon's mother? Was Emerald divorced? Or did he not marry at all in the first place? Was it a drunken mistake? A one night stand? Jordon couldn't have been adopted because he and Emerald resembled slightly. Maybe his maternal genes were more dominating.

I decided to ask Emerald about it once we get on good terms again. This subject could be a touchy one.

"Kay!" He called, snapping me out of my thoughts. He was now standing right next to me, looking at the mixing bowl which was at his eye level when he stood on his toes.

"I think it's done. Let's put it in the oven!" He ordered and I complied.

"Daddy loves chocolate. And cakes. He's going to love this!" He said excitedly as we seated next to each other on adjacent chairs around the table.

"I'm sure he will," I replied with a smile. He seemed to be lost in thought for a while but he maintained a good fake smile before shooting a very unexpected question at me.

"Do you love my dad?"

For a moment, I sat there paralyzed at what I had been asked. I had never ever imagined that this idea could possible run in the six-year-old's head. Had Emerald told him that we were dating?

"Um...Your dad and I are friends." I replied, trying to maintain a smile like he was.

"And now you and I are friends too." He added, grinning genuinely at me.