Chapter 45: Third Time's Not A Charm

S O P H I E   W I L K I N S

For the past two periods, Aria has been trying to grab my attention and talk to me. Every time, I pretend to not see her, or walk in the opposite direction to my next class.

As soon as the bell rings, I bolt out of the class as I know Aria is in the next room over. Luckily, only a few people have spilled out into the hallway, and I speed walk to my locker. I look in both directions of the hall and search for any sign of her. To my relief, Aria was nowhere in sight, and I filed some notes away in my locker.

I slam it shut, and Aria's face appears where the door was a second ago. I jump back a bit at her sneaky presence as I clutch onto my chest.

"Hey, Sophie," She states causally in an amicable tone with yet another smile.

"What do you want?" I ask suspiciously, narrowing my eyes at her.

"Woah, no need to get defensive." She holds her hands up in surrender. "I just came over here to warn you about Andrew." She leans in a little closer at the second sentence. I don't buy her bullshit but lower my guard just a bit since she doesn't seem threatening. Keep in mind, keyword: a bit.

"Whatever it is, I'm sure it's some bullshit you made up to wiggle yourself in between Andrew and me." I walk away and hear her sigh in frustration, but a few seconds later, she gently grabs my wrist. 

"Believe me. I think you're really going to want to hear what I have to say," she advises, raising her eyebrows a bit. "Just give me five minutes, and I promise I won't bother you again."

I roll my eyes as I scoff at her words. Pft, like she'll ever stop pestering me.

But I give in, "Fine, five minutes and that's it." Her lips pull back to show off her pearly whites and a mischievous glint sparks in her eyes for a split second, so brief that it couple been missed easily, before fleeting away.

"Great. That's all I need."

"So, what is it that you need to warn me about?" I urge and make air quotes.

"Well...I wanted to let you know that...Andrew's been playing you," She states, with a hint of care that I can clearly tell is fake.

"What are you talking about?" I ask with a you're being ridiculous face, not believing a single word that has come out of her mouth.

"On the night of Jacob's party, the last one before school started, Jacob dared Andrew to take your virginity and make you fall for him," she states bluntly.

Most of me doesn't buy it, but a small part, deep down inside of me, starts to believe her. But even though it's small, it's slowly starting to convince my conscious that what she's saying is true, causing a storm to brew within me. Agh, stupid feelings. It's just more bullshit, the majority of my inner monologue tells me. But the other part of me responses with a rebuttal, but what if it's not bullshit, and she's right?

"That's ridiculous," I shake my head with a look saying I still don't believe you. "Why should I even believe you?"

"It's up to you. If you do, you do; if you don't, you don't," she shrugs with a casual tone, arms crossed as she casts she gaze to the ground, "But I have proof." Her eyes glance back up at me, eyebrows raised to see I'll accept her offer.

"Fine, what is it?" I sigh in defeat. She smiles and pulls out her phone from her back pocket. Tapping a few times on the screen, she pulls up an audio recording and presses play as she brings it up to my ear.

"Why is Andrew suddenly spending so much time with that girl?" Aria asks.

"Who?" A male voice responds with a slight slur, which I figure out is Jacob.