Chapter 12: "I'm not interested."

S O P H I E   W I L K I N S

I rummage through my drawers before I find what I'm looking for. I grab the washed gym shorts that are folded next to the hoodie that Andrew lent me the other night and stuff it into a plastic bag, protecting it from any damage. I place it into my backpack and walk downstairs.

As I enter the kitchen, I spy a plate with bacon, eggs, and rice sitting on the dining table. I scrunch my nose as I sniff the delicious aroma that fills the room.

My mom is sitting there, also eating a plate of bacon, eggs, and rice. She takes a sip from her mug of coffee and looks up, greeting me with her pearly white teeth.

"Good morning, sweetie."

"Morning, Mom. What's all of this?" I gesture to the table.

"Well, my shift ended really late last night, so I don't have to go in until later unless there's an emergency. So, I thought I'd make you breakfast. It's been a really long time since I've been able to cook you anything. If you want more, there's extra food left in the pans."

"I'll tell Bree to come in. She's waiting for me outside."

Bree sprints through the door within seconds and eagerly grabs a plate. She piles on some of the extras and joins me at the table.

***********

We quickly finish our meal and head to school. I look for Andrew's red Mustang, but it's nowhere in sight. Oh well, I guess I'll have to give back his clothes later.

Bree and I walk to English and I wait to see the tall asshole walk into the class, but nothing. Did he ditch? Argh, I don't want to hold onto his clothes for the rest of the day.

***********

I step out of AP Bio and make my way to my locker. On the way there, I see Andrew walking ahead of me with Jacob and Max at his sides and call out his name.

He turns around and his eyes scan the crowd. I jog towards him and slip one of my backpack straps off and swivel the bag around to the front of my body so I can unzip it. I take out his shorts and hand it to him.

"Here. I washed it already, so it should be clean."

"Thanks, love. See you again tonight." He grabs the shorts and winks as he walks away, Jacob patting him on the back. I run up and stop him, clutching onto his arm. The loud chatter turns into quiet whispers. All eyes are on us, but I don't care.

"What does that mean?" I ask, slightly irritated and confused at his sudden change of behavior.

"You know exactly what I mean, love. You should feel honored to be able to have a second taste of me so soon." He smirks arrogantly and walks off. Did he just lie to everyone by saying that we slept together?

Oh. hell. no.

I scoff as my mouth hangs wide open and I stand there, looking like an idiot. I couldn't believe what just played out before my very eyes.

My cheeks slowly start to heat up from anger and embarrassment as I hear a couple of snickers in the crowd. I'm zapped back into reality and slowly turn around, making eye contact with people, who are hungry for drama. Then, some snarky remarks start to spill out.