Chapter 19: A Nuclear Deterrent

"Director Fury, the council has made a decision." Said one of the World Security Council.  

"I recognise the council has made a decision, but given that it's a stupid ass decision, I've elected to ignore it." Fury wittily replied.

"Director, you're closer than any of our subs, you scramble that jet..." Fury interrupted the man on the screen. 

Nick Fury pointed out the window to New York City, "That is the island of Manhattan, Councilman. Until I'm certain my team can't hold it, I will not order a nuclear strike against a civilian population." 

The same councilman replied, "If we don't hold them in them there, we lose everything." 

Nick was as frustrated as ever, "If I send that bird out, we already have."  

He ended the call and marched off furiously.

* * *

Noel was being shot at intently from behind, she tried to dodge and at first, she thought it was Tony trying to protect her from incoming aliens, but when she looked behind she spotted a familiar, deadly face.  

"Oh, you." Noel mumbled as she stared at Loki as he fired at her, again and again and again.  

"Hawkeye!" She called, zig zagging in the air.  

"Elle, what are you doing?" He exclaimed, shooting an arrow in her direction, aiming for an alien but narrowly missing.

"Little help!" Noel yelled as she felt something sting on her side but she didn't dare look, she was too focused. It was probably just the Syntheosis Vasmelra anyway, a lot of fighting put a strain on her body and sped up the cure serum S.H.I.E.L.D had been giving her. When she got back to the Hellicarrier, she was going to have to triple her usual dosage.  

"I got him," Hawkeye smirked, aiming and arrow and aiming it straight at Loki's head. As he shot it, the bomb on the tip was activated and it spiralled toward the trickster god who caught it, smirked and then yelled as it exploded. Loki landed on Stark Tower just as Noel jumped off, and tuck and rolled onto the ground next to the Tesseract device.

She got up and ran over to Dr. Selvig.

Loki ran after her just as Hulk jumped in and dragged Loki inside.  

"Enough!" Loki yelled, "I am a god, you dull creature! I will not be bullied by-" the Hulk grabbed Loki's legs and smashed him around the room, pummelling the god into the floor, shattering his entire body.  

The Hulk smiled and walked off, happy with his work while Loki whimpered in pain. 

"Puny God."

"The sceptre." Dr. Selvig mused.  

"Doctor?" Noel edged forward, not quite sure if he was himself. Dr. Selvig leaned over the side of Stark Tower, looking down at another level,  

"Loki's sceptre." He tried to tell her, "The energy....the Tesseract can't fight. You can't protect against yourself." 

"Hey, it's okay. Its not your fault. You didn't know what you were doing." Noel kneeled down and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, one hundred per cent sure Dr. Selvig was himself again.  

"Actually, I think I did. I built it in safety to cut the power source." He explained,  

An wave of realisation washed over Noel and her eyes widened, "Loki's sceptre."  

Dr. Selvig nodded. "It may be able to close the portal. And I'm staring right at it."  

Noel raced down to the lower level before Loki could get the chance.

Thor was doing a great job, or so he thought, which meant he probably was. He riffled through the Chitauri and helped out the others if and when they needed it. He handed heard from Noel in a while and that was a little worrying, but he knew she was a strong woman. She'd be alright.  

Just as he knocked away a Chitauri on the back of an animal-ship, another came right at him through a building. Next to it, he spotted Iron Man and waved, getting back to worked.

"Sir, we'll lose power before we penetrate that shell." JARVIS told Tony as he layered the armour. He stopped, flying in front of the giant alien.  

"Hey, JARVIS. You ever heard of the tale of Jonah?" Tony asked,  

"I wouldn't consider him a role model, sir." Was JARVIS' reply before Tony flew through the mouth of the thing and came out the other end, landing back first on the road littered with debris. On the ground, he was cornered by Chitauri and the blasted him.

Hawkeye was running out of arrows and he knew it. He couldn't tell how many he had left but he was getting ambushed by the aliens now, they crawled up behind him and he shot them. But when one came up directly in front of him and he reached to his sheath, there was nothing to grab on to.  

Crap, he thought and used his bow as a weapon, smashing the alien's head in.  

He looked to the sky and spotted a heap of Chitauri incoming. He pulled out an arrow from the alien lying next to him and placed it in his sheath, it loaded itself up with a cord and he jumped of the edge, shooting and swinging himself into a building.

The Chitauri blocked the Hulk's strength by burying him under a pile of never ending bullets and fire.

* * *  

"Director Fury is no longer in command. Override order 7 alpha 11."  

"7 Alpha 11 confirmed," Returned the pilot, "We're a go for take off."

"Sir, we have a bird in motion," Hill notified Fury. "Anyone on deck? We have a rogue bird!"  

Fury ran out to the Tarmac, watching the jets take off. He blew off the wing of the first but it was a decoy. The real one took off without a hitch, 

Nick Fury, for the first time ever, was starting to panic.  

"Stark you hear me?" Nick yelled into the earpiece, "You've got a missile coming in."  

"How long?" Stark replied,  

"Three minutes, at best."

* * *

Tony was panicking too.  

"JARVIS. Put everything we got into the thrusters."  

"I just did, sir."  

Tony didn't worry about taking out the rest of the aliens, he just flew out of there as fast as he could towards the missile.

On the ground, Thor had joined Captain America and the took down every Chitauri with ease, until Steve left himself open and was shot by one of them. 

"Oof!" He landed on the ground and Thor took them all out, leaving with with a few seconds break. 

Thor helped up his friend as Steve held his side, wincing in pain. 

"Are you ready for another bout?" He asked,  

"What? You getting sleepy?" The Captain chuckled and Thor smiled.

* * * 

Authors Note: hey!! So, chapter 19! How'd you like it? The next chapter is going to be back in Noel's point of view and it should be up later today or tomorrow.  

So, only a short A/N today cuz I can't think of anything to say really.  

Until next upload! Comment, vote, like!! 

*huggles* arielleblack  

P.S: I just hit 100 fans!! Thank you to everyone and anyone who has fanned me!! <3 it means so much