Chapter 18: A Little Worse

"What's the story upstairs?" Steve asked Thor.  

"The power surrounding the cube is impenetrable." Thor replied,  

From above, Tony chimed in, "Thor's right. We gotta deal with these guys."  

"How do we do this?" Natasha asked.  

"As a team." Steve said, in army mode again.  

"I have unfinished business with Loki." Thor declared,  

"Yeah, get in line." Clint quipped, getting an arrow ready.  

"Save it." Steve said, shutting the pair up. "Loki's gonna keep this fight focused on us and that's what we need. Without him these things could run wild. We got Stark up top, he's gonna need us..." 

Steve trailed off at the sound of a motorbike. It was Bruce! Noel smiled, relieved that he was okay and followed everyone to face him.

"So, this all seems...horrible." Bruce said.  

Noel cut in, "I've seen worse."  

"Sorry." Bruce apologized.  

"No, we could use a little worse." Noel smiled.  

"Stark, we got him." Steve said, 

"Banner?" Tony replied,  

"Just like you said." Steve nodded.  

In the distance they all heard the animal-ship groan over Tony's reply; "Tell him to suit up, I'm bringing the party to you."  

Noel got excited while the others just stared as Iron Man rounded the corner, the animal-ship hot on his tail. 

"I don't see how that's a party." Natasha mumbled as Bruce walked slowly in the direction of the animal.

Steve followed for a few steps before hanging back, "Doctor Banner. Now might be a really good time for you to get angry."  

"That's the secret, Cap." Bruce smiled, looking at all of us. "I'm always angry."  

Bruce turned around and suddenly turned into the Hulk, his clothes shredding off, leaving only his shorts, punching the animal in the face and sending it's armour crumbling to bits in a fiery explosion as Iron Man shot missiles into the disintegrating shell.  

Tony grabbed Noel and squashed her under his suit for protection until the debris stopped raining down on them, while the other Avengers took cover. 

"Tony, get off me! I can't breathe!" Noel exclaimed trying to push him off. Eventually he rolled off and she smiled at him. "Thank you."  

"You're welcome." He said through the mask and she could practically hear his smile.

The Avengers regrouped and formed a protective circle, all having each other's backs. Black Widow loaded her guns, Hawkeye raised his bow and arrow, the Hulk screamed, Captain America put up his shield, Thor grabbed his hammer, Noel took out her ninja stars and Tony has his palm laser fired up and ready to go.  

They all stared at the sky in anticipation for another attack, but they were clear for now. They had a chance to figure out their next move.  

Well...that's what they thought until they saw three more of the animal-ships swimming out of the portal.  

"Guys..." Black Widow said warningly.  

"Call it, Captain." Tony said.  

"Alright guys, listen up." Steve turned to face them all. "Until we close their portal, our priority is containment. Barton, I want you on the roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and straights. Stark, you've got the perimeter; anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or turn it to ash."