Twelve

Friendship often ends in love but love in friendship never.

Our school offered me a scholarship to attend high school there. I had gladly accepted the scholarship cause it was a really big thing for me. My parents were really happy about this and so was Patrick who got to attend that school himself. Saint Loui high school is maybe the best high school in France and everyone wants to attend it. Only really skillful students make it though, or students like me that gained a scholarship through any forms of athletics. Bea on the other hand made it through her grades and her brain. Because Bea was always the clever one in our friendship. Knowing how to make me fall for her even if we were that; just friends.

Kelly had the bright idea of having breakfast outside. And that's what we did. All this time, she was chatting happily with Bea's dad being super excited that Bea and her had ballet in common. I didn't have the courage to look Bea in the eyes, not after last night. After we were done -for the third time- we didn't speak ever since.

- I had so much fun this weekend! When are you coming again ?

Kelly asked.

- You can come in Paris too, right Bea ?

Her dad offered. Bea turned to look at him.

- What ?

- Sorry sweetie, I thought you didn't mind.

Her dad said, clearly disappointed.

- No, no! I didn't hear what you asked me.

- I asked whether Kelly can stay a weekend with us or ?

- Sure. Sure. With us. Yes.

- Are you alright Bea ?

Her father asked.

- Yes, totally fine.

- Didn't you sleep well last night ? I thought that maybe sleeping alone was better, I mean the bed that you two shared wasn't that big.

Kelly explained.

- Don't worry Kelly, Bea and Julian always do sleepovers. They know each other since they were four.

- Really ? You're lucky that you know your boyfriend all your life!

- He's not her boyfriend Kelly, Julian and Bea are best friends.

- Oh, that explains a lot!

- Yes, do you think I would allow them to sleep in the same room if they weren't just friends ?

Her father said laughing. In that moment, I honestly wanted to die. Accidentally my gaze met Bea's. Her cheeks were red and I guess so were mine. I couldn't have felt any more terrible. What was I thinking ? And what was she thinking ? But we weren't thinking. That's for sure.

~~~~~~~~~

All the drive home I spot Bea checking me from the rear view mirror. And then, she averts her gaze. I know that she's awkward. I'm awkward too.

- Did you guys had a good time this weekend ?

Her father asks. No reply.

- No ?

He tries again. Then, he pauses for a minute.

- Kelly liked both of you.

Again, no reply.

- Are you guys tired ?