Nine

You and me and never us; a complicated series of almost interactions.

The first time I saw Bea in kindergarten she was wearing a black t-shirt and she had her hair braided. And because her hair is black and she was dressed in black I persuaded myself that she was a witch. That alongside with the fact that she kept staring at all the other children with a furious expression and I really had thought that she was planning on killing all of us. That's why I asked her to be my friend. That way, she wouldn't kill me and I would kill with her the other children. It sounded bad but I had to save myself.

Patrick and I are watching a movie together. I'm not sure Patrick pays attention though cause I spot him glaring at me a couple of times. When our eyes meet again, I lower the volume on the TV and look at him.

- What's going on ?

I ask. Patrick smiles awkwardly.

- Firstly mom told me about your little "incident".

- What incident ?

- You threw a glass in your wall ?

- Haven't you ever been mad enough to throw something hard enough ?

Patrick raises his shoulders.

- Sure. But I guess that had to do with Bea,...

- Enough about it. I don't want to talk about Bea.

I'm about to turn up the volume again but Patrick stops me.

- I decided to tell mom about Susanne.

My eyes open wide.

- What ?

- It's unfair for Susanne, okay ? She'll also tell her mother. They're adults, they'll know what to do.

I feel the urge to hug my brother but I prevent myself from doing so.

- That's really brave Patrick. Really.

- Not really,...but if I wouldn't do it, I'd be a complete chicken.

I frown.

- You're not a chicken.

Patrick eyes me carefully.

- Okay maybe you are.

I gain a pillow in my face for saying that and I throw one at him. We soon start fighting with the pillows until mom interrupts us as she always did when we were young.

- How old are you guys again ? Soon you'll go to college, meet someone, get married, have children and you're playing with the pillows!

She says, frustrated.

- You didn't say the things we'll do in the right order.

I say and I earn a mad glare from Patrick.

- Or maybe that's the right order!

And by that Patrick throws a pillow at me again.

~~~~~~~~~

Kevin watches our teammates getting called up for the match against Lyon this weekend. Neither me nor him are going to play.

- I can't believe it!

He mumbles.

- I'm sorry Kevin. I can believe it.

- You know Neymar isn't going to last here long. I mean surely bigger clubs will want him.

- What's the point anyway ? It's our senior year, none of this will matter after this school year is finished.