Down the Mississippi Part 2

Third Person POV

"10K! Chris!" Doc called out towards the other side of the river. He was sure they both went to that side. He felt like he should've went after them. He didn't even know if they were together right now.

"10K! Chris!" Warren called out. She was also worried for them. She'd always felt close to Chris and felt protective over the girl. Now she was upset over the fact that she couldn't protect Chris right now since she didn't know where Chris was.

"Kid! Can you hear us?! Send a smoke signal!" Doc yelled out again. There was still no response. Doc looked back at Warren. "I'm going across."

"Doc, you won't make it." Warren told him.

"We have to get them." Doc said desperately. He thought of 10K as his best friend and felt a responsibility for him. He saw him as a son. And he saw Chris like a daughter. He just wanted to make sure they were okay.

"No, we don't. And what makes you think they're on the other side anyway?" Murphy snapped.

"Those two kids are survivors! They ain't going out like that!" Doc said.

He was sure they were alive. They had to be. They had their whole lives ahead of them. Chris had told him of their plans to go north and settle down ,maybe have a family. They couldn't die before they got to do that.

"Yeah. As romantic as that sounds, that is not much to go on." Murphy told him.

"Well, I don't care. I'm going after them." Doc said ,turning back to the river.

"That's the east side of the Mississippi you're talking about." Vasquez told him.

"Yeah, so?" Doc asked, not getting his point.

"I'm headin' west. So is he." Vasquez pointed at Murphy.

"Oh is that right?" Doc asked.

"Doc, you're not going back in there." Warren told him.

"What are we gonna do ,Warren?! Leave them?!" Doc exclaimed.

"Hey, hey, we're not gonna leave them. Look, they probably just floated downstream. Right? So let's head south. We'll find a spot. We'll camp out." Addy told him.

"There's only one direction they could've gone. We'll stay on the rivers edge. If they're on the other side, they'll give us a signal." Warren said.

"Well, what about getting Murphy to California?" Vasquez asked.

He knew that was supposed to be his top priority but he still was worried about the two. His main worry was for Chris. He knew she was pregnant while the others didn't. He couldn't help but think what would happen if something bad happened to her. He'd feel really guilty for not saving her ,like he felt he needed to.

"Yeah. What about that?" Murphy's voice brought Vasquez out of his thoughts of the young pregnant woman.

"We'll put in 24 hours of looking for them. And then we head west." Warren spoke up.

Meanwhile, across river, Chris was trying to stay as close to the river as possible while heading south. She tried to keep moving until she couldn't see.

Then she climbed up a tree to rest. She rested a hand on her stomach as she started to daze off. Her last thought before drifting off was of 10K and if he was alright.

***

Chris walked up to a road block. There were cars on top of cars. She climbed over the road block to see the bridge she had see from by the river.