Heart of Darkness

"2 PM daily broadcast." Warren said looking at her pocket watch. We've been watching them for a while now. I haven't seen 10K out and about in the compound ,at least in the part we could see.

"What are you gonna do with all that zombie blood?" Hector asked ,gaining my attention. He was talking to Sun Mei ,who was working on a vaccine.  I walked over and stood next to Hector.

"Murphy's immunity has something to do with him being bitten eight times just as he was vaccinated. I've been collecting samples of Z blood to add to Murphy's vaccine. My theory is that it will dilute his control but still make you immune." Sun Mei explained to Hector. 

"Nice theory. Think it will work?" Hector asked her. 

"Honestly, I don't know." Sun Mei answered. 

"Well, I don't want to be the first to find out." Hector stated.

"He's adding more blends every day. We can't wait much longer." Warren walked back to us. Hector took the binoculars from her and went to look down at the compound. "We gotta figure out a way to get across that zombie moat." 

"Hey, check this out. He's moving." Hector called back to us. We all walked over to him. Warren took the binoculars that Hector held out to her and looked to Murphy's compound.

"That's him alright." Warren said. 

"Where do you think he's headed?" Hector asked. 

"The one place he'll be alone. He's got a magazine. Only one reason Murphy ever reads." Warren said. 

"Not that many zombies right now." Hector observed. 

"We might not get another chance like this. We go now." Warren told us. She handed the binoculars to me. "Chris, you stay here with Sun Mei and Jeff. We'll be back." 

"Are you sure? I could come with." I told her. 

"No, I got this. You look after your son and Sun Mei." Warren told me. I nodded. 

"Okay. You two be careful." I told them. They nodded before walking off. 

***

"We've been at this for three days now. How much longer do you want to keep searching?" Sun Mei asked as we walked through the town. Hector and Warren came back fine. We've been looking for Escorpian since.

"'Til the Red Hand finds us or we find them." Warren answered Sun Mei. 

"You sure you want to find them? Those people are psycho. Even by the apocalypse standards." Hector said. 

Warren stopped. She was looking at the wall beside us. The wall had the red paint that I really don't like anymore ,because the Red Hand gets on my nerves. 

'ONLY THE RIGHTEOUS HAVE NO FEAR' was written on the wall in red paint. 

"You're goddamn right I wanna find them. We can't take Murphy alone. I need an army. I need men and women who will die for a cause. And yes, kill for a cause. And I mean without hesitation or remorse. Because that's what it's come down to." Warren answered Hector ,who just shook his head. She started walking. 

"Listen to me. Listen to me! Listen to me." Hector ran forward and grabbed Warren's upper arm ,stopping her from walking away. She turned and looked at him with an angry look written all over her face. "I know we need help. But not by the Red Hand. Not Escorpion. You cannot control men like that. They understand nothing but pain and death. They're killers." 

"And we aren't." Warren asked, getting Hector's hand off of her.

I heard a scream in the distance. Sun Mei and I looked in the direction that the scream came from. Warren was still saying something to Hector but I was listening in the other direction. Sun Mei started walking in the direction of the scream. I followed her.