Thirty

"Adrianna." She looks up from her book, startled.

Chris stands in front of her with a slight smile, his lips twitching like they're trying to hold the smile from expanding even further.

"We have company."

She blinks, nodding slowly. "What made you so happy about having guests over? Are they really that special? You weren't even this excited when Jared and his parents came to visit."

He chuckles, grabbing her by the waist and pulling her up from the armchair in his office. She balances herself, putting her hands on his shoulders. Chris is really acting weird today.

"I have time for a special vacation. Fancy camping?"

"Hmm..." Adrianna taps her finger against her glossy lips. "Sleeping out in the woods isn't what I'd call a hobby, considering my sisters and I are used to living in the wilderness."

A corner of his lips stretch up into a half-smile and his eyes sparkle. He leans down to brush his nose against hers, taking his time to inhale her scent before he opens his eyes to stare deep into her own.

"You'll love it. There's a huge waterfall near the spot and the water is crystalline." He starts, stopping when her lips parted.

"Did I ever tell you that we had a hideout behind a waterfall?" She says playfully.

He rolls his eyes in a good nature before continuing. "We'll reside on a cliff surrounded by pine trees and overlooking a beautiful grassland. Sometimes fireflies come out at night."

"Hm. Not much of an outdoorsy girl." She teases, her eyes glinting in amusement.

His laughter breaks out. When it has died down, a mischievous twinkle flashes across his orbs. The side of his head brushes against hers as he places his mouth near her ear. She inhales sharply as he tightens his grip on her waist.

"How about seclusion?"

His tone is suggestive; one that she doesn't know how to react to.

"Yeah, I'd like that." She surrenders, grinning sheepishly before her chest explodes with warmth and bubbles of joy.

Chris steps back, flashing her a charming smile. "Good."

Their eyes meet and she feels lost, barely containing another smile growing on her lips. In the back of her mind, she vaguely wonders why Heloise doesn't feel the same way towards her mate.

Then again, she doesn't feel happy as she's supposed to, rather feeling greatly concerned about the safety and happiness of the crown prince over her sister's. Now that she thinks about it, she guesses they're both somewhat the same in not reacting the way they're supposed to.

She breaks out of stupor when Cresca starts to purr and the urge inside her multiplies. She clears her throat, also snapping him out of his daze.

"So... who's the guest?"

He blinks, "Alpha Donnel and his daughter, Rose."

"Should we... go greet them then?" She presses on.

A smile traces his lips before he gives a nod of approval. "Yes, before things take a different turn–not that I'd mind."

Her jaw almost drops to the floor as he leaves the room with a wink. She's definitely loving this new side of him.

 She's definitely loving this new side of him