Twelve

She gulps, her throat feeling dry and hollow as she breathes to calm the thundering of her heart.

"About...?" She tests, her voice coming out lower than she had expected.

"What I said... that I love Elena."

She heard it clearly that time, but she wasn't sure and she didn't want to believe something uncertain, unproven.

Her heart clenches and the pain travels through her lungs, suffocating her and denying her of her need of air to think clearly whether what she's hearing is from her imagination or his mouth.

She hates the power of the mate bond. She doesn't want to feel pain because the man she's only met loves another woman whom he's long acquainted with, when he's destined to be with her.

Right now she prefers hearing her brain rather than her rebellious, coiling heart trying to wrestle out. It's easier for her to lessen the attraction before she plunges in deeper into a world she doesn't know, just as easy as forgetting an acquaintance.

No love, no pain, and vice versa. Though she doubts love can surface from pain unless it's a destructive kind love.

"I said it on impulse to calm her down. Years ago," he pauses, pressing his hand down on hers, "I realized that I only love her as a friend. I've known her for a long time, and we dated once, but it didn't work out. She's too much of a sister to me."

Adrianna licks her dry lips, trying to block the hope rising inside her.

"I wasn't... drenching myself because of that. I..." she loses the speech she's tried so hard to make at the simple gesture of him brushing her hair caringly. "I just... don't know what to-to do. I mean, this thing, it-it doesn't make sense!"

He stops caressing her hair and chuckles softly, "It's a gift from the Moon Goddess."

"But it can also be a curse." Adrianna counters, the words she doesn't want to utter coming out on their own will.

"Yes." His face turns to stone, but behind his eyes is a fiery flame that Adrianna couldn't manage to see as she plants her gaze on her feet. "But take my word, I won't purposefully hurt you."

"You know you can just... forget all of this if you really love her." Her uncaring words, no matter how soft-spoken, infuses ire into him. "I won't mind. I can just stay away and the bond will lessen as time goes on, as far as we're... well, far away from each other. I don't want to force you because of the bond, so-"

"I think it's better if you shut up." He inhales a long breathe, opening his eyes to capture her frown. "First of all..."

"Face me," he tilts her head easily to his, taking advantage of her baffled moment, "and don't speak, just listen. Sorry if I'm going alpha on you."

She opens her mouth and worried that she's going to start blabbering again, he reflexively covers her mouth with his hand.

Seeing that his message is well received, he starts.

"I want to make this work. You're my luna-" he sends her a strict glance, "my mate. I want you not just because you're supposed to help me lead the wolves, but also because..."

His eyes match the dark intensity swirling around in her eyes when certain three words are said.

"You're my given mate. You and I are fated to be together, no matter how hard we try to escape it. Only the goddess's great plans can divide us, but I'm sure she would want us to stay together as one."

With his other hand, he reaches out to grab the side of her face softly, hoping it'll help her register his sincerity. "I know what we're feeling now is just the mate pull, but we both know it can be so much more. I don't want you to back out. I want us to fight together."