Chapter 26: Walking On Memories

Reiner and Bertholdt

Reiner's POV

We had nothing to do... so, we thought that walking on Wall Rose was suitable for our boredom. What scared me was the fact the part of the wall was torn away... like from an explosion. When I touched the rubble, my head started to ache. I see flashes of white, and my dreams...

"Bertholdt..." I manage to say, stunned by the accuracy of my dreams and this place. Maybe, I'm a psychic? Just... maybe?

He groans, "What, Reiner?"

"Doesn't it... feel weird, walking along these walls-"

"You know what feels weird?! Me being here with you. Reiner, if it wasn't for you... well, maybe I could've had a chance with Annie! But no! That... Armin kid stole her away as I'm following you! Just, please!"

My fists tightens... he still blames me for all that... at this point, I wanted to smack some sense into him. I don't care if I like him or not... but he needs to grow over that. Annie is happy and loved with Armin... and I'm glad for that. Now, if he stops being an overgrown baby...

"Reiner... I'm tired of this... I'm leaving." He says, walking away from me.

Did I lose control over myself? Maybe... maybe my rage took over... but I rushed to him, tackling him to the ground. His chest hits the stone walls, and he starts to fight me. "Stop it... Bertholdt..."

"Let me go!" He cries... and then... I saw my nightmares again. That kid with the freckles... when I saw him, I felt deep sadness... and I felt that I knew why. I pinned Bertholdt down, just as I did to him in my nightmares.

"Can't you listen to me, at least?! Please, I'm trying to tell you something..."

Then, Bert stops his squirming. "What?! What was so important that you had to pin me to the ground?!"

"Because you're stubborn as hell! Stop crying over Annie! She's happier with Armin than she would be with you!"

"Oi! Come on!"

"Aren't you gonna listening to me?!"

"I am, aren't I?!"

"Not well enough!" I shouted, loosening my grip. "Now please, can you stop being a stubborn bastard and at least hear me out? If you do, I'll release you, okay?"

"Arg... fine..."

"Thank you." I manage to say, unpinning him from the ground. I collapsed onto the stone wall, taking breaths. Bertholdt manages to sit up, staring at me with confusion in his eyes, twinkling softly. 

His eyes stared straight at me with pure anger. "What, Reiner? What did you want to tell me? Huh?"

Taking a deep breath... I realized I couldn't force him to love me... but I could tell him how I felt about him. "Bert... I have to tell you something. Very important..."

"Well, you got me this far to listen to your insufferable ranting-"

"I... I have feelings for you... m-more than a friend... can you at least understand that? Please..."

Bertholdt stares at me, shaking his head, "You're crazy, Reiner... maybe, you think you do, but I'm just you're friend."

Upon hearing those words shatters my heart... why didn't he believe in my feelings? For the past couple weeks... I tried and tried to flirt with him... and now, it ended as a failure. Was I not destined to be with him? Oh... my heart is just painful now...

"Bert, it's more than a friend, can't you feel that? I... I like you."

He shakes his head, confirming my broken heart.  "R-Reiner, I know being in a different place is stressful... you're just stressed okay because this place is like your nightmares. It's okay, you got it, okay?"