Chapter 9 - Unwelcome News

Start from the beginning

Caden made his way down the staircase. "My hovel, if you recall, was built by Elves and if anything, we humans have improved it ten fold since making it our home those hundreds of years ago. Though, try as we might we still cannot get that perfumed Elvish stench to leave the halls."

Keria was watching Orophin carefully, the knight was visibly enraged and she had notice him slightly changed his stance into a more offensive position as the king approached. But just as she was about to move after Caden one of the Elven Guard gently laid a hand on Orophin's shoulder, slowly shaking his head as the young elf turned. This seemed to relax him. Egrinlast removed his helmet and handed it to one of the knights. He had a lean pale face with no hair whatsoever, his scalp though, was a mass of intricate black tattoos.

The two leaders were now face to face, Caden had stopped a couple of steps from the bottom so he could look Egrinlast in the eye.

"The years have not been kind to you old man," Egrinlast continued with his insults. "I've seen smoother skin on the arse of an ogre."

"Aye, but at least I was handsome once, you've had to live with that face for over a hundred years. Quite frankly, you're braver than I thought."

Both men were smiling now.

"How are you, old friend?" Caden asked quietly.

"Better for seeing you, Caden"

With that they embraced, roughly hugging each other, laughing.

"Come, I've already set the kitchens about preparing a feast for tonight," Caden boomed to everyone gathered in the courtyard. "Let us show our guests how we entertain."

Caden and Egrinlast started climbing the stair together, his entourage following closely behind. Egrinlast leaned in to his friend.

"We need to talk urgently," he said. "You may not be in a feasting mood after you've heard what I have to say."

"I have to admit," answered Caden, "I didn't think this was a social call, the army kind of gave that away. We will retire to my chambers first then."

Caden gestured to Ordwin and Keria to follow, as did Egrinlast to Orophin.

"It's good to see you again, Egi," Caden slapped the Elf on the back as they walked through the sculpted corridors. "It's been far too long."

"That it has," he replied, "but just seeing you has brought back some very happy memories." He turned to Orophin. "Do you know this man once took down a dragon single handedly."

"If that is indeed the case, sire, it is a very impressive feat," Orophin replied.

"Very impressive," Keria added cocking her head at Caden. "How come we've never heard about this?"

"Believe me my Lady," Egrinlast continued. "There are many stories I could tell."

"And many more you can't," Caden declared. "Remember, I have just as many tales of your exploits as you do of mine. In any case, it wasn't a dragon, it was a wyvern, much smaller."

"You two seem to know each other very well, would you like to enlighten the rest of us," asked Keria. "Though, I think Ordwin is in on this little secret as well."

"My lips will remain tightly shut," said Ordwin. "I have a reputation to uphold and these two have more on me than I care to admit."

"We'll get to it later, Keria, but for now I think Egrinlast has some news," Caden pushed open the thick carved door to the council chambers and they followed him in.

The relatively small room was sparsely adorned with nothing more than a map on the wall. In the middle stood a large, plain oak table, surrounded by chunky wooden chairs.