Chapter 6 - The Alleyway Incident

Start from the beginning

"I need you to leave."

"Val, please." Eli pleaded, "I swear I'm telling the truth."

"Just go." I whispered, "I need to process this."

Eli reluctantly nodded and got up to leave.

"Eli?"

He turned around, "Yeah?"

"I really hope you're telling me the truth."

He gave me a tight smile before heading out the front door.

I finally dropped the knife from my hand and ran my hands through my hair.

I didn't know what to think. Could I trust Eli? Should I?

An hour later Dad was back home, "Where's Elijah?"

I decided not to tell Dad anything until I had figured it out myself, "He had to leave."

My head was pounding, I grimaced in pain.

"Val? Are you all right?"

"Headache," I groaned, "I need some air. I'm going to sit on the porch."

I went out onto our porch and allowed the slight breeze to comfort me. The sun was setting, painting the sky beautiful shades of orange. I closed my eyes for a moment wishing I could forget everything that had happened in the last four days.

I got a call from Scarlett. At first, I was going to decline it but I decided I would answer and try to get some answers from her.

"V? Oh my god. I can't believe you answered!" Scarlett cried, I could hear her sobbing.

I rolled my eyes, "Why did you do it?"

"I'm so sorry Val."

"Scarlett. I want answers."

Scarlett was silent for a moment, "Can I meet up with you in person? I want to apologize."

I had known Scarlett for years, I wouldn't forgive her for what she'd done, but I guessed she deserved the chance to explain, "All right, where do you want to meet?"

"I'll text you the address, I want us to be alone so that I can be honest."

"Sure."

I hung up and went back inside the house to ask Dad if I could go.

"It's getting late Val, can't you meet her tomorrow?"

"Please, Dad. I kind of need the air too, been cooped up in the house for a while now."

Dad nodded, "If you're not back within an hour, I'm sending a search party."

I kissed his cheek and left the house.

I turned on Google Maps and typed in the address Scarlett had sent me. It was a five minutes walk away. I followed the GPS.

Before I knew it, I found myself standing in the middle of an alleyway.

This can't be right.

Taped on a wall across from me was a letter with my name scripted on the front.

I opened the letter. That's when I realized.

It was a trap.

If you're reading this Val, you're truly gullible. Good luck.

- xX Scar

How stupid was I to believe she was actually willing to apologize?

My heart began to race. I began to type in my home address but my phone started to glitch. Oh, this couldn't be happening. My phone died. Just my freaking luck.