Chapter 2

When I open my eyes there is no more pain. I am somewhere unknown, in new clothes, and surrounded by candles.

Is this heaven? I could faintly hear something, a sound so hauntingly beautiful that I was so sure I was in heaven.

"Hello there." The sound stops.

I turn my head and see a man. He is inhumanely pale even in this lighting, his hair was black and slicked back behind his ears. He wore black trousers and a black coat, both made from the same smooth material that I have never seen before. His shirt nearly matched his skin, it looked soft to touch. And his eyes...just as black as the clothes he wore.

"Am I dead? is this..." I look around the room. It didn't look normal, all the walls even the floor and roof were formed out of dirt.

"Hell?" the man smirks and I get a flash of his sparkling white teeth.

"I am afraid not. You are alive. For now." He gets up and hands me a cup filled with water which I gulp down quickly.

"My wounds...I feel nothing." I look at my arms and up and down my bare chest. Not even a scar.

"I gave you my blood." The man says.

"Why would your blood heal me?" I ask genuinely puzzled.

"Because I am a vampire." He smiles widely now and I see his fangs protruding sharply past his lips.

"My blood can heal any mortal wound and turn you into one if I wished it." he explains calmly.

Meanwhile, I was trying to understand exactly what he had told me. A vampire? A real vampire? Our kind were enemies with one another, I had never seen one, but my parents raised me well enough to know to stay away from them. They were murderers. Heartless and soulless blood sucking creatures that belonged to hell and worshipped the devil.

But here was one in front of me, who saved my life.

"What is your name?" He asks.

"Gabriel." I say

"It is nice to meet you Gabriel, I am Desiderius." He says and I look at him strangely.

"An unfamiliar name I know. But I am from an unfamiliar time as well. Your name is just as strange to me as mine is to you." He says and I remain quiet and unsure.

I look to his side and notice the instrument in which the beautiful sound must have come from, I had never seen anything like it.

"You like this?" He picks it up and strums it. The sound makes me smile.

"It's called a violin. It's been with me longer than I can remember." He touches it fondly.

"Would you like to hold it?" He asks and I hesitate before nodding.

It was lighter than I expected and made of wood. I touched the same strings he did and we both smile as it makes the same sound.

"I could teach you if you like." He says and my smile shrinks.

"Why did you help me?" I asked him.

"Why did you need help, Gabriel?" The question took me aback.

"I know what you are. Your blood gave it away the second I found you. Only wolves blood smells different than mortals." He says and I feel tears filling my eyes.

"I am not a wolf." I stare down at my lap.

"Banished were you? Or very poorly executed?" He says but I do not answer him.

The painful memories of what Caleb had done to me burst into my mind and I can not stop my tears from falling.

"Do you remember what happened to you?" I can not speak.