Chapter 3

Desiderius and I travelled all across Europe during the years I served as his familiar. He never failed to spoil me as well. We lived and ate lavishly. He would spend a fortune on my wardrobe and think nothing of it. I was taught to read and write. I became invested in literature, science and arithmetic. We would even play the violin together now that I had mastered it. I was happy with him. We were happy together.

"Are you alright?" Desiderius' voice softly whispers next to my ear.

We were currently on a ship leading us back home after an long time spent over seas. The country was beautiful there, we had been living near the ocean in a hut facing it directly. I loved walking in the sand and the smell of the sea water remained fresh in my memory. As did all the new life I saw there. The flowers, the people and animals. All of them different than anything I could see at home. 

But the journey was long. And there's only so many passengers who are able to die from a mysterious "illness". So I would offer myself in times where Desiderius was unable to feed.

"Yes." I swallow hard and place a handkerchief over the wound. It didn't hurt much when he fed on me. I was just happy to oblige.

He smiles at me and reveals his fangs, I could see my blood near the edges of his mouth but he licks it off and swallows. I look away.

"Thank you, Gabriel. It isn't right to say but wolf's blood is favored over any mortal blood." He says and I become intrigued as he continues to speak.

"That is where our life long feud began. Wolf's blood was a delicacy in those days, so much so that they become hunted to near extinction. And then they became stronger. And soon it became war..." His eyes became lost in the memory until he looked back at me.

"I apologize. I do not wish to speak ill of your kind, Gabriel" He says and I shake my head.

"I have disowned my kind. After what was done to me. And after all these years serving you. I can never trust them again." I could tell my answer pleased him.

He squeezes my shoulder gently and leaves his hand there. 

The gesture warmed my chest. The feeling left when he removed his arm.

To draw less attention to ourselves and avoid robbery, we traveled amongst the steerage with all the other peasants who were barely able to pay for their passage. As my eyes dragged across their poor faces, I stopped when I saw a pair of menacing and angry eyes looking back at me. The man was old with a giant grayish and unruly beard. I didn't understand why he looked so angry with me, but I thought it was better to avoid conflict so I looked away.

The wound had stopped bleeding now. I take a deep breath as the ship rocks and I wipe away the sweat forming at my brow. 

"Something on your mind, Gabriel?" He asks as I sigh. I had removed my coat and began to sweat heavier now.

"No just a bit unwell is all." I sigh again.

"You think I have forgotten?" he says puzzling me.

"You will be 18 tomorrow, will you not?" he says.

The thought hadn't occurred to me, I had become so swept up in our holiday that I somehow forgotten it. And yet he had not.

"Yes, master. Thank you for remembering." I smile at him.

"I wanted to wait until we were home. I even had it made before left." He says and digs into his pocket.

He pulled out something gold and shiny and quickly places it into my hand.

I look down at the circular piece and open it. A pocket watch.

"Thank you, Master." I smile wide and look closer to see an inscription has been engraved.