Adriane Matthews - Leonhart's Secret

That night, Commander Erwin Smith of the Scouts laid his plan out. He wanted to use Eren to do the same thing in Shiganshina. Armin was wondering why he was explaining everything, and it was as if Erwin was looking for someone. I had heard, well we did because we all had our gear checked, that two captured Titan's the Scouts had were killed the night before. It was assumed that it was one of the Cadets so we all were required to show our gear and made sure they weren't used out of turn.

When the Commander was finished with his speech, Erwin dismissed the others who weren't going to join the Scouts. I almost left, but I remembered what Annie said. I stayed.

Annie walked away and stopped next to me. "Stay safe." She smiled.

"You too." I took her hand for a quick second and smiled.

That would be the last time I would see her like that ever again.

-

He walked with the others who were in the Cadet Corps. "So Jean, why didn't you go to the MPs?" Adriane asked. "You seem dead set on them."

Jean looked down. "I just..." he didn't seem to have a real answer.

Adriane nodded. "Glad you are here. Sorry about Marco though." He recalled the funeral pyre they held for the dead a few days ago. So many bodies. Jean had said something about not knowing where Marco's bones were from all the others. Everyone felt the lose of the great man. "I hope we can live up to his view on us."

Jean didn't look up. "Yeah."

He looked back and saw Reiner coming up. "So, you did come after all." He grinned. "So, what changed your mind? Annie?"

He chuckled. "Yeah. She actually said I should join instead of not. Hadn't heard her say that before." He looked back as Bertholdt looked at him with hate. "I knew she wasn't going to join us, but she seemed happy to see me come here."

"Well, we can look after each other. I mean, you have gotten better over the last few years but we all can improve." Reiner gripped his shoulder. "Plus I think Annie was right. There is much more to you then we knew. A strong young man like you, eighteen and already you can beat me."

He eyed him. "What? You think I couldn't do that? Mikasa is younger than me had she beat you no problem!

"Yeah, but she beats EVERYONE!"

"You remember when she fought Annie?" Adriane tried to but he couldn't remember who won. 

"Umm...no. In fact, I can't even recall the fight. Damn."

*

Everyone was around Eren, but Adriane looked out the window. He knew that things were going change but the air felt different. When he looked again at his fellow Cadets, he saw Reiner and Bertholdt were missing again. 'Strange.' He looked around and saw Bertholdt around a corner looking worried. 'What are they always talking about?'

Then he 'felt' a person behind him and he looked. "Commander!" He was shocked. He froze quickly before his mind recalled what he had to do. He snapped to attention. "SIR!"

The others saw and snapped to attention as well. "At ease Scouts. I wish to speak to Cadet Matthews for a moment."

Adriane felt his stomach pit. 'What did I do?' He followed Erwin to his office, still slightly empty because they just moved in a short time ago. "Sir, Cadet Adriane Matthews."

Erwin nodded. "I had heard about you. Your family history...I wish to know about your father."

Adriane opened his mouth but closed. He told Annie, sure but he still hated to tell people. But Erwin was a great man, one of the smartest men around and the strongest. Adriane looked down and breathed in. He explained everything. Erwin took it all in, not asking questions, not speaking up. When Adriane finished, he looked at Erwin.