Epilogue:

"I feel like we're always driving along this road." I tell him, shifting my feet on the dashboard.

I twist my neck to look at Damon, my head resting against the passenger seat. He sits in the drivers seat, windows rolled down with only one hand on the steering wheel. His leather jacket sits tight around his shoulders with the position he's in.

"Where are we going, anyway?" I ask, "I thought we weren't going back to Mystic Falls until next week."

"We're not." Damon grins, "Wait and see."

I roll my eyes, turning my attention to the passing trees. It's always a nightmare when Damon gets like this. When he, for some reason, gets an adventurous streak. It makes him want to do things he really, really shouldn't.

The car's slowing down — also not a good sign. Damon begins to look more and more chuffed with himself as he pulls the car to a stop in the middle of the road.

"We're stopping here?" I raise an eyebrow at him, "You realise this is illegal."

He ignores me, naturally, and climbs out of the car. He shuts the door behind him, and I watch him walk around the car until he comes to my door.

He pulls the door open, grinning down at me mischievously, "Out you get, then."

What exactly is he up to?

I swing my legs from the dashboard to the ground, pushing myself up out of the car. He's stood to the side of me with that grin still cemented onto his face, almost bouncing on the heels of his feet.

"I'm out. Now will you tell me what we're here for?" I ask him; folding my arms across my chest as I wait.

He dragged me out of bed early this morning. He's managed to keep exactly why to himself quite well really, considering how much Damon likes to talk.

"We've come quite far, don't you think?" Damon questions, keeping his eyes solely on me.

"It's only six miles from here to Forks, Damon."  What is he on about? Honestly I don't fancy standing out here all day.

Damon rolls his eyes, "I'm not talking about the road, El."

"We probably should be talking about the road," I point out, "since it's illegal to park in the middle of it."

Damon sighs, "Eleanor. Forget about the road alright."

"If I'm supposed to forget about it, why are we here?"

"Eleanor!" Damon huffs, looking rather frustrated, "The road is not not important. It's supposed to be a metaphor."

"A metaphor?"

"Just ignore the road." Damon says, stepping closer, "That's not why we're here."

"Then why are we here?" I ask him, glancing at both ends of the road (despite being told it's irrelevant) to check for cars.

Damon grins again, shoving his hands into the pockets of his leather jacket, "Back to the original question, we've come quite far, haven't we?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"I've lived a long time." Damon says, "I've lived long enough to see the world change so many times. I've seen wars, I've seen countries drag themselves up from the ground after the most devastating tragedies. I've lived long enough to love, and to hate, and to kill. Sometimes all at once."