Ten;

As strange as it sounds, an empty house is probably one of my favourite things. The peace, the quiet, the silence. It's a headache curer, after all. I like to be alone more often than I don't; people give me migraines.

I close my eyes and sink into the couch pillow with a sigh. My head pounds. Is this even fair? I'm dead, for crying out loud. How comes I'm still pestered by headaches?

I feel like an injustice has been done to me.

The quiet helps. With no Damon to constantly irritate me, my head seems to hurt less.

Wonder why.

I relish in the quiet, staying as still as I possibly can in an effort to enjoy it. I don't get this often, I don't want to waste it.

KNOCK. KNOCK.

Argh, just my luck. The one time I get peace and quiet, someone bangs on the door. I feel I should be more surprised, but it's not as if the world has a habit of handing me favours.

With a sigh, I push up off of the couch, and make my way toward the hallway. I could move a lot quicker than I am, but what's the point? It's not as if the person on the other side of the door is going anywhere.

KNOCK. KNOCK.

"Alright," I snap, "I'm coming."

My hand wraps around the door knob, and I pull it open grouchily.

"You only need to knock once." I say harshly, before turning my gaze to look at the intruders of my peace and quiet.

I stop short as my eyes meet Rosalie's, and then Emmett's. Both vampires are dressed immaculately, but in the appropriate clothing associated with Mystic Falls. Rosalie's hair is curled perfectly, and the blonde stands out against the dullness of the day outside. Whereas Emmett's hair remains slightly messy, but the sort of messy that you can tell has been styled to look that way. They both have a disheartened expression across their face, as if they're grieving over the loss of something.

I can't tell what I'm more shocked about; seeing them at all, or seeing them here. They seem out of place in Mystic Falls, like throwing a Vogue model in a grubby alleyway.

"Eleanor, could we, perhaps, have a moment of your time?" Rosalie asks politely, although her tone is cool and empty.

I think I'm too shocked to do anything other than nod, and step out of the way for them to come through.

💉💉💉

"This is a beautiful home," Rosalie compliments, smiling kindly at me as she walks into the living room. Her eyes scan over the leather couch (the very same one I was laid on only moments ago), and the arm chair, and Damon's liquor cabinet with the bourbon on the table beside it. She takes in the high ceiling, and the windows, and the carpet, "Can we sit?"

I nod, waiting for Rosalie and Emmett to perch themselves on the couch beside each other. Even here — especially here — they appear like dolls in a dollhouse. Beautifully preserved like museum exhibits.

"Is it yours?" She continues.

I raise an eyebrow at her, "Is what mine?"

"The house."

Oh, right. Well now I feel stupid. Christ, I can't even follow the conversation. Why the hell didn't they call ahead? Ask to meet somewhere? It's so weird seeing them sat on my couch.

I need to get myself together.

"I don't know," I say lamely, "It belongs to Damon and Stefan, I just live here."

Rosalie nods slowly, and casts a slightly concerning glance towards Emmett. I really wish they'd hurry up and tell me what they want, instead of leaving me hanging like this. Bloody hell, I think I'm actually nervous.

"What is it?" I force out, "Is something wrong?"

Rosalie smiles tightly, "Many things."

For Christ sakes can she not say more than two words at a time? Is she getting off on this? Is my uncertainty amusing to her?

"What things?" I ask.

Emmett frowns, "There's been a problem, with Renesmae."

"Renesmae?" I startle, my words becoming rushed, "Is she okay? What happened?"

"She's fine, for now. She grows every day — too quickly, you see." Rosalie says.

"Our cousin from the north, Irina, she saw Renesmae out catching snowflakes. Renesmae has unimaginable abilities, Irina had mistaken her for an immortal child." Emmett finishes.

Confusion riddles through me, "What's an immortal child?"

"They're forbidden, illegal." Rosalie explains, "A child turned by a vampire. Their mindset is cemented as it was at their death, and they become unpredictable, uncontrollable."

"Dangerous." I state.

"Extremely," Emmett agrees, "For both human and vampire kind."

"Irina's mother was killed by the Volturi for creating an immortal child, the immortal child she created slaughtered a whole village." Rosalie says, "And so when Irina saw Renesmae..."

"She thought you'd committed the same crime her mother had." I bite my lip.

"Exactly."

"So... the problem?" I raise an eyebrow. This is all nice and everything, but I still don't understand the issue. So some vamp got the wrong idea, so what?

Emmett sighs, sounding crestfallen, "She's gone to the Volturi with her accusations. The Volturi are coming for us — all of us. Our whole Coven."

"They'll kill you all." My voice is quiet, my emotions rocketing.

"Yes, they will." Rosalie says, "We're gathering witnesses. They'll still come to kill us all, but they'll have to listen. With witnesses, a case must be heard."

"We need you to be a witness." Emmett states, his face void of emotion. I'm guessing he's trying not to convince me of this with how he feels. He wants me to decide for myself.

Could they not have called? A phone call would have been all I needed and I would've been straight there!

Oh... wait... I haven't been answering Bella's calls.

Well fuck, if I didn't feel shit before I certainly do now.

"We'll come with you," I hear from the doorway, "You won't fight alone."

I turn my head to see Damon stood in the doorway, his arms folded across his chest and a stern expression on his face. There'll be no arguing with him on this one.

Beside him, Stefan stands with a similar expression, his posture the same. From here, it's so easy to tell they're brothers.

"We have a witch." Stefan says, "We'll bring as many as we can."

I've ignored Bella, and this is what's happened. I've abandoned her, despite her being my family, on the notion that I had to return to my own coven.

But maybe, maybe, I can have both.