[ 18 ] - Custord's New Friend

The silent car ride to my house was, i felt, long and tiresome, i'd never experienced such mental exhaustion within an entire hour without it either being from over-studying or past due homework. I was tired of thinking about what those two guys were talking about before school ended, tired of hearing those words play on an endless loop inside my head and trying to figure out why anyone would even consider something so foul from me.

I'd never been the one to be the center of attention, and no matter how many times i've wished for it when i was younger, being ignored and invisible was suddenly the best thing that's ever become of me in the social ladder of life.

When i heard the soft engine of the car finally silence i blinked and looked away from the window, so focused in my head i barley noticed that Noah and i had made it to my house. It looked so empty from this angle. Noah looked at me from his spot in the drivers seat, his hands resting in his lap as he stared at me with unreadable eyes. I suddenly felt embarrassed that he had seen me cry like a helpless baby, and all because of something so stupid.

I looked back out the window and forced the tears that blurred my vision again to stay within my eye lids, i didn't want to cry anymore over something as pathetic as the rumors flooding around the school about mine and Noah's relationship. What was it to them, anyway? Why did they need to know what was and wasn't going on between us? How was our friendship any of their business?

"Are you okay?" Noah had asked softly, i sensed the hesitation in his voice and looked at him.

Yet again, he was blank.

I sniffled one last time before nodding my head. "I'll be fine." I answered quietly.

I cursed at myself hearing the timidness in my voice. I didn't want to look weak right now.

"Are you sure?" He hesitated again.

A small sigh passed my lips, i didn't know how to tell him i needed someone's comfort — Alize wasn't here yet due to the absence of her rented car in the driveway, and there was no extra car hanging around in the usual reserved spots for my family members, the only one i had was him, but sensing his nervous behavior i figured he wouldn't be comfortable about consolation. I didn't know how he felt in this entire situation, if he's even heard the stuff being said at the school at all and just thought it better to spare him the burden.

I forced a small reassuring smile, "I'm sure." I lied, "Thank you for the car ride, Noah. I appreciate it a lot... i guess... i'll see you at school tomorrow?"

Noah stared at me closely for a minute and didn't say a word. Fearful that he'd catch onto my horrible lie, i flashed a quick smile and gathered my things before climbing out the car. I knew his eyes were still trained on me as i fumbled for the house keys hidden at the very bottom of my bag, but i didn't look back. Quickly i places the key inside the handle and pushed the door open and closing it as fast as possible.

Once inside the silent house, i sighed.

I leaned back against the front door and allowed myself to slide all the way down until i reached the floor, then just sat there. I could feel the air conditioning softly freshen my bright pink face, could feel it start to nip at my dry-stained tears and kicked my shoes off and tossing them aside.

I knew i should've taken this time to call Alize, lord knows she's been on my mind all day and not being able to call her to see if she was okay was absolutely killing me, but i just couldn't bring myself to do it. The fatigue hit me hard. So hard i couldn't stop myself from groaning lightly when a weightless animal carelessly hopped onto my torso and began sniffing my clothes. Opening an eye i smiled seeing Custord begin to nuzzle his face against mine and hear him purr immediately. "Hi, buddy." I cooed bringing my finger to push through his soft, thick fur around his neck. "Tell me you had a better day then me."