Chapter 27

Kara’s Perspective

        “You know, this reminds me of a song my dad used to sing. Granted he used to sing it after a beating, but he sang it to calm my mother down. It usually had the same effect on me as well.” I hear Coleen speak up.
        “What reminds you of it?” I ask.
        “Your outfit choices actually, the colors to be specific, as well as your personalities. Jeff’s black jeans and madness, EJ’s blue mask and occasional kindness, KK’s red outfit and controlling nature, and Masky and Hoodie’s yellow jackets, and their bravery and cunning. Everything kind of matches the song.”
        “Why don't you sing it then? I kinda want to know how it goes.” Everyone looks at Jeff with surprise.
        “What? I want to listen.” We shrug and Coleen starts singing.
        “If I remember right, it should go like this…
The first Alice was a cruel and cold hearted man
He lived a life of crime with death staining his hands
He traveled to the woods and found himself to be lost
He became trapped in a strap jacket made of snow and frost
If not for the trail of death and fear he made
Everyone would have forgotten the existence that he laid.” She stops singing and everyone leans closer for more. Everyone is present except for Sapphire, even Slender is listening in. Perhaps that's why she isn't here though.
        “Is that it?” BEN asks. Coleen starts to shake her head no, but she's interrupted.
        “No, it isn't. Uncle used to sing it to us during the drive home when we were in elementary. It would always put Coleen to sleep after the first verse. Those were my good memories.” By this time Sapphire has her head down, leaning in the living room doorway while everyone stares at her. She starts walking towards the stairs again.
        “So you know the rest of it?” She stops.
        “And if I do?” No one says anything for a bit, so she starts walking again.
        “Will you sing it to us?” Slender asks. She doesn't skip a beat while walking.
        “You know I don't sing anymore Slender. I lost my voice that day, and I promised myself I would never raise it again. What makes you think I would break my promise for a silly lullaby?” Before any of us can answer, she’s already gone.
        “’She will return to normal one day.’ I have always told myself that, but it is moments like these that make me feel she is too far gone.” Slender walks downstairs to the basement. It's been about three months since we moved in. Coleen and Sapphire graduated early so they could live here full time. Although, it seems more like only Coleen moved in, considering Slender and Sapphire are always avoiding each others eyesight.
        “On a lighter note…” Leslie speaks up.
        “Valentine's Day is tomorrow! Is everyone ready?” Peryn finishes and everyone else goes pale in fear.
        “Guys? What's wrong? You all look paler than usual.” Coleen asks.
        “Quick! Everyone hide the girls in the attic and spray cologne everywhere. We need to hide their scent as much as possible before he gets here!” Just as Jeff stops talking the doorbell rings.
        “No time! Everybody run!” Everyone follows EJ’s lead and runs for the stairs. They run into Sapphire on the first step.
        “That won't be necessary.” She says as a maid opens the front door.
        “Well hello, and who is this?” They hear a sultry voice and everyone except for Coleen and Sapphire cower in fear. Coleen perks up and Sapphire smirks.
        “UNCLE OFFENDY!” Coleen yells as she jumps on his back. Sapphire walks up to him calmly while Coleen gets off his back.
        “Hey Uncle Offender.” Offenderman fixes his hat away from his ‘eyes’.
        “Do mine eyes decieveth me? Is that my two favorite girls in the whole world?” He grabs them both up in a hug and they laugh, thoroughly confusing the rest of the group.
        “Good to see you too Uncle Offendy.” Coleen giggles as he sets them both down.