Penny For Your Thoughts

PJ

I had been down in Brighton filming and my train had been delayed by an hour and a half so I decided to walk along the boardwalk vlogging. I saw a seagull gunning for a woman's ice cream and I knew I had to capture it on film, I would add my own unique voice over later.

That's when I saw this girl standing a few meters in front of me holding a camera; she too was capturing the seagull. I could only see the back of her head but I could make out all the different shades of blue in her dark chocolate coloured hair, and how when the last of the sun hit them the lighter shades almost shimmered. I wanted to see what she looked like from the front so I walked up alongside her as she finished taking some photos.

'Why do we always smile at other people's misery?'

I only said that because she had smiled when the seagull had taken the ice cream. I wasn't expecting her to turn around to face me with her camera still up blocking her face, but when she pulled it down my breath was taken away.

She was beautiful, a red beanie rested on her head so that her fringe stuck out underneath it, she wore no makeup which I liked in a girl. The weather was still warm and she was wearing shorts which showed off her legs along with a Pokémon t-shirt which I had seen online but never bought and a pair of converse which looked like they had seen better days. They were covered in dirt and paint splatters.

'I've never asked that question before. I'm Alice by the way.'

She put out her hand and I shook it.

'Call me PJ.'

I waited for some sort of reaction; in Brighton I often got recognised. I didn't think my channel was big enough for recognition on the streets but it happened on occasion and I loved my fans.

'I've seen your face somewhere PJ.'

I liked how my name sounded when she said it. She then clicked her fingers together.

'I watch your videos, I love your channel.'

I ran my hand through my hair and smiled, was she one of the more crazy fans?

'Thanks.'

'I'm not some crazy fan girl PJ; I actually found your channel when I was at university. Your videos made me want to experiment with my own filmmaking.'

ALICE

It looked like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders, I never thought of myself as a 'crazy' fan girl, 'normal' fan girl yes but never obsessed. I had my siblings to thank for my normality around their YouTube friends, but if I ever met any other youtubers outside of Zoe and Joe's circle I knew then I would have to dial down the crazy.

PJ

Alice came across as pretty cool and laidback, I knew we couldn't just stand staring at each other in silence and a part of me wanted to know more about her.

'Would you like to get an ice cream with me?'

She chuckled, I then realised the irony after we had just witnessed someone lose an ice cream to a seagull. I mentally face palmed.

'I would love to PJ, as long as one of us is on seagull patrol.'

'Agreed, we'll take shifts Alice.'

ALICE

We walked down the boardwalk chatting amongst ourselves, PJ asked if I minded being in his vlog, I couldn't say no outright because he would ask why. But my hair was different and no one needed to know my last name. I agreed hoping the fading light would keep my identity secret.