10. SUBJECT: PETER

Start from the beginning

Which is fine.

Hockey is still an option. A few of the minor teams reached out to me, and even if the money isn't great, it's a start, right? It's weird, though, that hockey is actually more stable than academics for me.

Still, I could really see myself teaching.

I hated school until I started taking classes with one history teacher in my junior year of high school. He didn't just list out names and dates for us. He made us 'grab history by the balls' and care about what happened in the world before we got here. We watched documentaries, re-enacted trials, and wrote to historians. It was awesome.

That's what I'd want to teach by the way---high school history. I have no idea how to teach (or talk to) little kids. What if I fuck up and tell them about Santa? When they shit, am I responsible for wiping their ass and buckling their belt? Because that seems like it's asking a lot.

Oh, that reminds me of something you said yesterday about belts: Lucas wore a braided belt to dinner, and you found it hilarious. I don't think I've ever worn a braided belt, but I've never found them funny, either. Rest assured, a braided belt will never touch my pants. 

I'm a big supporter of belts, as a concept. Think about it, how many times have you seen an action movie where the main guy uses his belt as a tool to save the world? He throws it up around a line and grabs the other end to zip line to another building. He takes it off and tightens it around his partner's leg to stop the gunshot wound from bleeding out. In the event that I ever need to do something wild and crazy, a belt might be the tool that saves my life. 

Sorry, class is about to start, and I need to pay attention. My grades need to be a lot better this semester. I'll write you another email tonight.

So, what about you, Cass? What are your ambitions? Have you always wanted to be a writer?

Later,

Wes

to: weston.maguire@baderu.com

from: cassie.belford@baderu.com

Subject: Re:Something to make you laugh (I hope)

sent: February 19, 2017 at 4:59pm

Wes,

I'm not sure if your play will win a Tony award this year, but better luck next time. I did laugh, thank you.

I started writing at an early age. It was an inexpensive and portable hobby that helped me sort through my racing thoughts and ideas. But I wasn't an aspiring author until quite recently. There wasn't one moment I decided to write a book and get it published. It just sort of happened.

I have no idea what to tell you about my ambitions.

There's so little that I love, but I think I love writing just enough, so that's my plan. Maybe someday I'll figure out something else, but for now, writing is good.

Simon and Sarah are sitting at the kitchen table eating pancakes and watching tv on his laptop. Hank is sitting with me on the floor. I can see their feet touching under the table while Sarah pretends not to notice the described video.

They are each other's ambition, I'd say. If asked about his future, Simon would point to Sarah and Sarah would smile ever so lovingly and reciprocate that notion. It's nice for them. But I'm doubtful such certainty exists in my own life.

Cassie

. . .

to: cassandra.belford@baderu.com