Chapter 15

A feeling of unease came over Giovanni as he entered his home. Nobody besides him was in the apartment, yet, he had a strong feeling someone had been in it. He let go of the duffel bag, dropping it on the wooden floor. He checked the other rooms but no one was to be found. The last place he searched was his office, his eyes scanned the space looking for something to be off.

Nothing.

Giovanni sat behind his desk, leaned back and lit up a cigarette to ease his nerves. When he went to tap the ash off it, his scowl returned. The ashtray was clean; it wasn't when he left for Vincenzo's wedding. He was certain he hadn't emptied it out and it wasn't as if he had a maid who could have done it. He stood up and only now he saw a little bit of grey residue on the rug. 

Someone had been inside his office and went through the trouble of trying to cover up evidence.

Immediately, Giovanni went through the shelved documents but nothing seemed to be missing. Everything was still there. The drawers got checked next but he only cameup with the same result. The security footage didn't give him any leads either.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Isabella leaned against the kitchen counter, her eyes trained on the wall clock. Giovanni would come any minute now. He had asked her out for dinner.

''Going somewhere?'' Her brother looked at her outfit as he strolled into the kitchen.

''Am I not allowed to?''

''Calm down. I'm just asking.'' With a small smile, Sergio shook his head at her. ''It's Giovanni isn't it?''

''.''

Sergio sighed, ''I suppose it's not a coincidence you chose to go today. You know, since Papà is working today.''

Isabella smiled weakly at Sergio. He was right. She might have been on speaking terms with her father again but couldn't deny the strain in their relationship.

''Can you keep a secret?'' she asked sweetly.

''Sure but don't let it go on for too long. Secrets and lies like that pile up before you know it.''

Isabella raised an eyebrow as she eyed her brother. Rarely did she get this type of advice from him.

''Speaking from experience?'' She laughed lightly.

Sergio didn't get to answer, the ringing of the doorbell interrupting him. He was quick to move to the front door, his sister only a few steps behind him and welcomed Giovanni with a tight smile.

''One second.'' Sergio looked at Isabella and stepped outside to have a little talk with Giovanni.

Isabella covered her face with her hands, feeling mortified. Not only had her father given Giovanni a talk but now her brother as well. Before she knew it, her brother had come back inside.

''What did you tell him?''

Sergio shrugged. ''Just about every embarrassing thing you have ever done.''

''Ser!'' She scolded, her smile giving herself away.

''Don't do anything you don't want to do,'' Sergio said in a low voice and hugged her.

Sergio trusted Giovanni enough to let him take Isabella out for dinner. He knew that Giovanni would give her the protection she needed. Problem was that he didn't have faith in Giovanni's ability to restrain himself. Nonetheless, Sergio believed Giovanni to be a man of his word and wouldn't force anything.