Chapter Nine: You're a Good Singer

I woke up the following morning with a sudden feeling of something itching its way up my throat. I covered my mouth and ran as fast as I could to the bathroom. I barely made it before I started retching my insides out. 

After a long few minutes, I got up, flushed the toilet, brushed my teeth, and turned to exit the bathroom when I saw him standing there. Bailey was leaning against the frame of the door with a concerned look on his face.

"Are you okay?" He asked, worry written across his face. 

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine. I just, had a few too many to drink last night. I got an upset stomach," I said coolly, trying my best not to let him see it was a complete lie.

He didn't seem convinced, but he nodded his head anyway. "Alright. C'mon. I have breakfast waiting. Toaster waffles!"

I smiled. The thought of eating didn't really appeal to me, but Bailey's perkiness put me in a good mood.  

We had been sitting around the table for a good few minutes (which felt quite empty seeing as it was fit for five), before I asked the question that had been on my mind.

I cleared my throat. "Yesterday...You threw that party to get me jealous, didn't you?" I asked. 

Bailey didn't meet my eyes. Instead, he shoveled half a pancake into his mouth.

I sighed. Another question sprang into my head, so I asked it as well. "You-you weren't drunk yesterday either, were you?" 

He slowly raised his head, looking me directly into my eyes.

"No." He said, swallowing. 

"So...You actually love me?" I asked softly, tilting my head slightly.

 "I-" He started, but I heard a scream sound from upstairs.

"Bentleigh's up. I'll get her." I jumped up, taking the stairs by two. 

When I went into her room, Bentleigh was playing with her stuffed dog inside her crib. She was happily munching on its ear.

 I went over and picked her up and she started chewing on my thumb. 

"Bentleigh. He loves me... Can you believe it? Your brother loves me." 

Bentleigh looked up at me with those big, bright green orbs of hers. I couldn't help but place a kiss on her forehead. She was such an adorable baby! Looking at her almost made me want a child of my own. 

I sat down in the rocking chair in the corner of the room. I closed my eyes and began singing as I rocked Bentleigh.

"It's a little bit funny, this feeling inside.

I'm not one of those who can, easily hide.

I don't have much money, but boy if I did.

I'd buy a big house where, we both could live."

Bentleigh's eyes started to droop.

"If I was a sculptor, but then again no.

Or a girl who makes potions in a, travelling show.

I know it's not much but, it's the best I can do.

My gift is my song and, this one's for you."

Bentleigh began to snore softly.

"And you can't tell everybody, that this is your song.

It may be quite simple, but. Now that's it done.

I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind.

That I put down in words.

How wonderful life is, while you're in the world."

Bentleigh was totally asleep by this time, so I stood up and set her down in her crib. I admired her features once again.

"You're a great singer, you know," Bailey said.

I jumped around, clutching a hand over my heart. "Jesus! You scared me! How long have you been standing there?" 

"A while," Was all he said.

A silence struck upon us and I stared fixedly at the carpet. It was a dark blue.

"So..." I said softly.

"I'm going to go feed the horses," Bailey said. And then he was gone.

I sighed, glancing once more at Bentleigh, before going out the door, downstairs, and outside. 

I headed in the direction of the puppy shed. If Bailey wanted to feed the horses, I figured I could feed the dogs.

I threw some food in the bowls, and then picked up Gus. I brought him outside and set him down on the wet, dew covered lawn. 

In a matter of half an hour, Gus had learned 4 new tricks. He was a very quick learner. I was very proud. With my old Chow Chow, I had done agility. No doubt in my mind that Gus would be able to do the same when he reached a year old.

After putting Gus back into the puppy shed, I poked my head inside the horse barn. Bailey was just getting done cleaning the last stall. 

"Need any help?" I asked.

"Nope." I started to turn back. "But do you want to go for a ride?"

I stopped. "Uh, sure. I'll go get two horses. Are they all broke?"

"Just get Monte and Moonshine. They don't get ridden enough, anyway." Bailey said.

 I nodded before grabbing two halters and lead ropes off the wall and headed out to the pasture.

Half an hour later, Bailey and I were saddled up and out riding on one of the back trails. 

"What did you compete in?" Bailey asked me. 

"What?"

"What did you compete in with your horses?"

"Oh. Uh, I gamed with Monte, of course. Winston was western pleasure, and then Gypsy I just rode around the farm."

"Are Winston and Gypsy still alive?" He asked. 

"As far as I know. Winston was 20 when I had to give him up, so he still had a little bit of gas left in him. Gypsy was only five, though. I loved that horse."

Bailey didn't saying anything, so I pushed Moonshine up into a lope.

"Hey! You could have warned me that you wanted to race!" Bailey yelled, before kicking Monte into a gallop.

I smiled at him before matching his speed. We were neck and neck. I made the mistake of glancing at him, because at that very moment Moon tripped and I went flying over her head. 

I hit the ground hardly, knocking the wind out of myself. I landed facing Moonshine. It all seemed to go in slow motion. Her hooves beat the ground in rhythm. Thump de thump de thump. I saw the silver of her horse shoes gleaming in the sun and she neared closer and closer. She was just inches from me when I closed my eyes. 

I waited for the pain. It didn't come. Opening my eyes, I realized that Moon had jumped right over me. 

The next thing I knew, he was by my side. 

"Jess? Jess, are you okay?" He asked.

"Who are you?" Was the last thing I said before my eyes fluttered shut. 

____________________________________

Do I get a prize for writing this entire chapter in the last hour?!? And I uploaded both stories today! (: And a cliff hanger of sorts, too! I was in a bit of a writers block, but I've looked past it and now I have nearly the entire rest of the story planned out. I'll have a good seven to eight chapters left. Soooo, yeah. 

~Brewski♥

PLEASE do not read any further. It only gets worse D: Please excuse my horrid fetus self for writing it. >.<