Chapter Six: Swapping Secrets

Bailey took me out to watch the stars in the pasture later that night. The grass was slightly damp and we found a spot where there were no fresh horse feces so we could lay down and not have to fear smelling completely like a barn.

My eyes searched the dark sky. It was insane how the night lit up with millions of stars. Back in the town I used to live in, there were so many lights you were lucky to see one or two stars and even then that only happened when the sky was insanely clear, like it was tonight. I sort of loved astrology. 

Bailey's hand shot up. "See that one there? That's Lupus. The Wolf."

"Where?" I laughed. "I just see a clump of stars. 

He scooted closer and I desperately hoped he couldn't feel how hard my heart was beating. He slung his arm around mine and held it up, bringing his face close to mine so he could eye up the stars. "Right there," he traced the pattern with my hand. It was like he was just playing connect-the-dots, except the end result didn't look anything like it was supposed to. 

"That doesn't look like a wolf to me."

"Me neither. Stupid name for a cluster of stars," his face stretched into a wide smile. 

"Do you think something could come of this? Us, I mean," I angled my head towards his, now crooked in the corner of his arm.

His face lost the grin and he searched every last bit of mine. "I sure hope so."

The next morning I woke feeling bright as a penny and fresh as a daisy. Yes, that sounds loony, but eh? I am in a good mood.

After getting dressed, I went down to the kitchen for lunch. Bailey was already stuffing his face with waffles when I sat down at the table. Seeing me. he slowed down a little bit, but the kid truely is a slob.

Julie was the first to speak.

"Have a nice sleep last night, Jessica dear?"

"Yes ma'am," I replied.

Julie turned from the stove with her hands on her hips. "How many times do I have to tell you? It's Julie. Joooolyyyy. I do not respond to ma'am. I am most definitely not an old woman."

Bailey and I both laughed.

"Yes ma'a- I mean Julie." I said.

"That's better," Julie said as she placed a plate in front of me. "Eat up, you two. Bentleigh is coming back today. Aunt Bea didn't want to give her back!"

"Uh, may I ask who Bentleigh is?" I asked somewhat politely.

"My daughter," Julie spoke. "She's 4 months old."

"Well I can't wait to meet her. When is she coming? Is there any chance I can help sit her at all? I absolutely love children," I asked.

"Of course you can help! I haven't had a minute to myself since she's been born. I'll need plenty of help. She should be here in like 2 hours. So you and Bailey can go mess around with the dogs and horses in the meantime."

****NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE! Needs to be edited. So sorry about that D:******

After we were done eating. Bailey and I made our way over to the puppy shed. In complete silence. To say it was incredibly awkward was a MAJOR understatement.

Bailey cleared his throat after a while. "So... Uh... How are you?" He asked, his voice rising at the last word.

"Uh, fine. Great. Just swell," I said. "You know, Bailey, we've known each other for nearly 4 days now and we've talked about every thing from horses to the weather outside, but you never brought up a sister. Why not?"