Chapter Two: The Boy

Something rustled my shoulder.

"Not now," I groaned.

"Jessica! Wake up," my mother hissed. "We need to get going."

I sat up, rubbing my eyes. "We live in Oklahoma. Our trip is only a few hours long. I don't know why we have to get up so early."

"Just do as I say!"  

That is my mother to a T. I honestly don't know how I share half of my genes with such an utter control freak. If I hadn't been so excited to start our journey down south, I would've definitely thrown more of a fuss. 

Thirty minutes later and we were on our way. Cruising along the interstate, I hummed to what ever song came on the radio.

There's a fire starting in my heart

Reaching a fever pitch and it's bringing me out the dark

Finally, I can see you crystal clear

Go ahead and sell me out and I'll lay your ship bare

See how I'll leave with every piece of you

Don't underestimate the things that I will do.

I'm a bit of a sucker for Adele.

There's a fire starting in my heart

Reaching a fever pitch and it's bringing me out the dark

The scars of your love remind me of us

They kept me thinking that we almost had it all 

The scars of your love, they leave me breathless

I can't help feeling...

"How much farther, mum?" I asked, feeling a tad bit bored.

"About ten minutes," She said. "You know, I haven't seen Julie in ages. I can't wait to meet little Bailey."

"Oh, did she just have a kid?" I asked, relaxing in my seat. I'd love to babysit a little girl. I'm an only child, you see. My mom would've have more kids, but after her divorce with my father, she never looked at a guy the same way again. I was okay with that. I liked it being just mom and I. 

"No. She has a seventeen-year-old son."

Suddenly interested, I sat up straighter in my seat. As I was about to ask a question about him she turned off the interstate onto a long, curvy gravel road. 

"He seems like a nice boy. If he takes after his father, he'll be good looking." She smiled at me, laughing as my cheeks grew a slight tint of red.

"Here we are," my mother stated after turning into the short driveway and parking in front of a huge white house with dark shutters framing the windows. In the distance I could see rolling hills of prairie grass with horses of all sizes and colors feasting on it. I could see multiple barns and training pens as well. 

"It's beautiful," I whispered. "Do they really live here?" 

"Yes, they're quite successful at breaking and training horses. Especially Bailey."

I smiled to myself. Bailey sounded wonderful already. 

Mom got out of the car as a lady stepped out of the house and approached us. I quickly followed suit. 

The woman, who I presumed to be Julie, was thin, but undoubtedly had quite a bit of strength to her. Her hair was shoulder length and the color of straw, which framed her well-aged face. She must have been in her early forties but looked a half decade younger.

"Ann! It's been way too long!" Julie exclaimed as she pulled my mother into a hug. She looked over to me next. "This can't be Jessica?" She asked in such disbelief that I blushed. "Oh child, come here. You're so beautiful." After I escaped from her warming hug, she took my mother by the arm and led her down to the barn for a little tour around their huge farm, seemingly forgetting about me. 

"So you're Jessica?" A voice said softly.

I jumped slightly and turned to look at him. He was leaning against the siding of the house, his hands in his blue jean pockets and his knee bent so his left boot was flush with the wall. His straight brown hair reminded me of Ty's from Heartland and his blue eyes instantly made me flicker my gaze away as they connected with mine. His tanned skin was much darker than the white house.

"Y-yes," I stammered. I must have sounded like an idiot, because he chuckled. 

He walked over to me, his hand extended. "I'm Bailey." 

I shook it, still paralyzed by the sparkle in his baby blue eyes. They went so well with his childish face... Stop thinking that! I scolded myself. You have to live here for 2 whole weeks. You don't want things to get awkward already. What about Jason? He's waiting for you at home. 

"I can help you get your stuff up to your room, if you'd like." He offered. 

"Yeah. Sure. Thanks." I said hurriedly. As bad as it was, I was anxious to spend more time with him. 

As soon as he had my bags in his hand, I shut the car door, then ran ahead to open the pantry door for him.

"Thanks," he said appreciatively. 

I only smiled. He was an angel. I held the silver cross that dangled from the chain on my neck. 

"Thank you Jesus." I breathed. "Thank you very much."

_______

K, I just wanted to say, when I wrote this story however many years ago, I was a hardcore directioner. I listened to sooo many different boy bands and learned how to play Skyscraper by Demi Lovato on my keyboard. 6 months ago I discovered P!atD, MCR, 21P, AAR, FOB, and sooo many more amazing pop punk bands and have learned how to play Welcome to the Black Parade on the piano. Lordy. x3

But seriously if you like any of those bands please message me so we can be friends!