Chapter Twenty-Two: Baby Campbelle

"Jess, hun, your son is crying," the boy laying next to me said, a yawn escaping his lips mid sentence. 

I rubbed my swollen eyes with my fists and pushed myself off the bed. Sure enough, I heard a baby's cry as soon as I set my feet on the floor.

"Need help?" He asked.

"Nah, Bailey, I can take this one."

I woke abruptly, feeling confused. Why would I have had a dream about him? Why had I been in the same bed as him in the dream? And why on earth would he have call me hun? 

As if sensing something was wrong, I felt a kick. I placed both hands on my stomach and I felt another kick. My son or daughter was trying to make me feel better. That's all I really needed at the moment.

"Hey."

I jumped almost a foot high. I glanced to my right and saw Bailey just casually lounging in my armchair. A sly grin itched upon his lips and grew steadily as we maintained eye contact.

"What the heck is wrong with you?!" 

"What's wrong with me? You're the one saying 'No, Bailey' in your sleep," he stated, tossing his leg up across the other one. "Just kinda curious what that was all about."

My face turned beet red. "Nothing. It was nothing."

"Aw, come on. Be honest. For meee?" He frowned like a sad little puppy dog.

What was I supposed to say? Make him believe I was dreaming about him in that way, or fess up and tell the truth? But was it the truth? Is that what would become of us? Was it really just a dream, or was I looking at my future? That's nonsense, though. Isn't it?

"I...uh...dreamt I bought a gelding named Billy...Must've sounded an awful lot like Bailey."

"Oh really?" he raised his eyebrows.

"Yeah. And he was being an arse. That's it," I tried to sound convincing. He didn't seem like he quite bought it, but he dropped it all the same.

"So what game do you wanna play?" he asked.

"Game? How 'bout you tell me why on earth you were watching me sleep."

"How about Truth or Dare?"

"Really? That's the best game you can think of?" I asked.

Why was he avoiding the question? Other than the fact that he must have realized I perceived it as being rather creepy...Wait....Does he do this on a regular basis? Watch me while I'm sleeping? Like Edward Cullen?

Bailey shrugged. "I'd say let's go horse back riding, but you're not really in the condition for that."

I rolled my eyes. "Well boo hoo. 3 more months, and then I can. I think you keep forgetting that I kind of have two children growing in my belly!"

"Well don't look at me...I didn't put them there."

"Really, Einstein?" I retorted. "Well, how about we go and play with the dogs?"

"You already did that yesterdayyy," Bailey moaned. "How about I go riding, and you stay in here and do nothing?" 

"Your mom told me I had to watch you. And how am I supposed to know you're not going to run into Laney? Wouldn't want you to bribe her into making me jealous again."

"Oh, come on. I didn't bribe her. I just...wanted to see if she was dumb enough to actually do it!"

I bit my lip in attempt to stop myself from smiling. "I think that makes you just as stupid."