Nicole grinned. "See ya, dork."

I chuckled and closed the door behind me. I opened my phone and noticed that I'd received a message from Ryan:

R: Hey Brendon, you still up for later? :)

B: Yep. See you in thirty!

I took a deep breath and headed to my car, putting my phone back in my pocket. Well, this was gonna be a long day. I drove home and quickly changed my clothes, opting for all black— black ripped jeans, black shirt, black shoes. Like in my good old emo days, minus the eyeliner and weird haircut.

I was in the caffé after five minutes and it was three fifty-four and I saw Ryan sitting in a nearby table, tapping on his phone with sort of a blank look on his face.

I walked towards him. "Hey."

He looked up, putting his phone away and shaking away loose strands of hair from his face. "Hey."

"So," I began. "You wanna order something?"

Ryan nodded and we stood up and headed to the cashier. While he was placing his order, I tried to come up with ice-breakers, conversation starters, to make everything less awkward.

We got our food and headed back to our table. I was about to ask him how he was doing and what he's been up to these days when he spoke up.

"Listen, I don't know how to put this out subtly so I'm going to be blunt with you, yeah? I wanted to go out for coffee with you because I wanted to talk about some stuff that happened in the past."

My breath hitched in my throat and I nodded. "Alright. Go on."

"I know we didn't exactly part in good terms and—" He exhaled loudly, thinking of his next words carefully. "—  and I wanted to say I'm sorry for that. Do you think maybe we can... I don't know, make up and be friends like old times?"

I looked at him incredulously and let out a humorless laugh. "Seriously? You think that you can just apologize and we can go back to being friends again? You think a single sorry can make up for all of it?"

He was silent for a full minute and then: "No, I don't. There's not a day I don't kick myself for hurting you— my best buddy and partner-in-crime— and leaving like that. I really am sorry."

I shook my head and looked him straight in the eye. "Look, Ryan, it pains me to say this, but we can't go back to the way it was. Too much has happened and too much time's passed for that to happen."

Ryan sighed. "I know you'll never forgive me— hell, I can't even forgive myself— but please know that I'm really sorry. You deserved a better friend."

"That's where you're wrong," I said softly. "I've forgiven you a long time ago. And you— you were a great friend to me. Stop troubling yourself with what happened before, Ryan. It's time to let go of the past."

I stood up and smiled at him. "I'm sorry too, man," I continued. "But it's just too late already. I wish you the best."

I squeezed his shoulder a little and left the place.

My phone buzzed with a notification. It was a message from Sarah.

S: Honey pick me up at the airport at around 6. We're leaving earlier that I thought. Love you! <3

B: Alrighty love. I missed you!
B: Btw Nicole's inviting us over for dinner at her place but I said I couldn't go because I was picking you up later. Buuuttttt since you're arriving earlier, do you wanna come or do you want to go home and get some rest?