Chapter 5

A month has passed since the incident in the restaurant happened. I thought it would be hard for me to get over it but one day, I woke up pissed and said to myself, "Get your shit together, Breanna. It's all over. Past is past. Move the hell on." My parents were glad I was finally like myself again. I'm back to eating everything I could get my hands on, working out with dad, walking Bogart with mom and Penny Lane, and hanging out with Lauren.

As I walked out the door, I heard my dad say, "Shit!"

I walked over to him and couldn't help the laugh that came out of me. He was cleaning up Bogart's dump and had accidentally smeared his hand with it. I said, "Yes it is, dad."

He looked up at me, scowling. "Don't wait for me to be tempted and throw this pile of crap on you, young lady."

I laughed. "I'm going to school now. Bye, dad."

He smiled and waved his crap-smeared hand at me. I chuckled and shook my head. I was about to shout mom a good-bye, but then I remembered she was on a trip with an old friend and wouldn't be back for like a few weeks.

I entered the school bus and headed to my usual place, leaving the seat beside me vacant for Lauren. I was listening to Sinatra's My Way when someone who was definitely not Lauren sat down beside me. I looked at him and my eyes widened in surprise and recognition.

"You," I said. "You're the boy I accidentally ran into when I was rushing to get to class."

He smiled. "Ah, that explains why you look familiar."

I held out a hand. "Breanna Urie."

He took it. "Ryan Ross."

My jaw dropped. No way. "You're... Ryan Ross?"

"My dad is Geroge Ryan Ross the third; I'm George Ryan Ross the fourth," he said, chuckling at my expression.

Oh. I'm sitting beside the son of the man almost everyone in the Panic! At The Disco fandom is pairing up with my dad. I shifted in my seat uncomfortably, feeling somewhat awkward. I gave him a small smile and returned to my music.

"So you know about it," he said, reading my expression. I nodded.

"I'm feeling really awkward right now," I replied.

He laughed softly. "Me too."

We sort of just sat there in silence until Lauren came and headed to her usual seat, which was now taken by Ryan.

"That's my seat," she said flatly, her expression hard.

Ryan frowned. "As far as I know, no one is assigned a seat in the bus and we can sit wherever we want so this isn't yours."

"Yeah, we can sit wherever we want," she replied. "And I want to sit there so get out."

My brows rose. This was going to be fun.

Ryan looked slightly annoyed when he stood up and motioned for her to sit.

Lauren smiled sweetly and sat down. "Thank you."

When he'd found another seat to be in, Lauren's smile faded and she rolled her eyes in disgust.

I couldn't help but laugh a little. "You seem pissed off."

"Oh, I am infuriated," she said. "How dare he flirt with my best-friend."

"He wasn't flirting," I said incredulously. I lowered my voice. "Do you know who he is?"

"No, and I couldn't care any damn less," she huffed.

I raised an eyebrow. "You don't say. What if I told you he's Ryan Ross' son?"