Chapter 8

Brendon

My daughter whirled on her swivel chair and sighed. "I honestly thought it would be less boring here, no offence."

"Oh, shut up," I said, rolling my eyes and smiling. You have Bogart and Penny Lane with you!"

"And my amazing dad," she muttered under her breath in the most sarcastic tone you could ever hear from a teenage girl.

I put my feet up on the table and tapped my pen on my forehead, trying to think of song lyrics. "That's right," I said a little absentmindedly.

The moment you arrived
They built you up
The sun was in your eyes.

I've always had a thing for lines like that— the sun was in your eyes.

You couldn't believe it
Riches all around—

Someone knocked on the door and Nicole, Panic! At The Disco's new bassist, poked her head in and gave me a wide smile. I held back a sigh— I almost had the first verse.

"Hey," Nicole said. "Just wanted to ask if you're up for dinner over at my house today with my family. Mike and Dan are coming. It'll be really fun."

I thought for a moment and sighed. "Nicole, I'm so sorry but I can't. I'm meeting up with an old friend this afternoon and I'm picking up Sarah from the airport tonight and—" I motioned to my messy desk littered with crumpled papers in which wrote what could've been potential song lyrics— "I'm really busy trying to finish the new album. I'm sorry. I swear I'll make it up to you."

Nicole shrugged, still smiling and seemingly unfazed, and walked inside, taking a seat beside Yanna who had taken a place on the small couch next to my bookshelf. "Oh, that's alright, Bren. There's always a next time. By the way, how are you doing, Bree? I haven't seen you in a while!"

I smiled at my daughter and my little sister— Nicole isn't related to me by blood in any way, although she's like family to me— and went back to work, leaving them to chit-chat and catch up on everything they'd missed out on. I sighed and returned to my work.

You're walking
Stars are on the ground
You start to believe it

Almost got it, Brendon.

Every face along the boulevard
Is a dreamer just like you
You looked at death in a tarot card
And you saw what you had to do

I dropped my pen loudly on the table and stood. "This is, by far, the hardest song I've ever had to write."

"Take a break then, Dad," Yanna said, giving me a small smile.

I looked up at the clock. Three-thirty. Thirty minutes 'til Ryan. "I will in a while. I'm meeting with someone in thirty minutes. Do you want to stay here or do you want me to drop you off at home?"

She nodded. "Alright. I'll stay here with Nicole."

I nodded and kissed her forehead. "Okay, I'll see you later, sweetheart." As I was leaving, I turned to Nicole and did finger guns. "Catch ya later, kid."