#2

Assalamu alaikum warahmathullahi wabarakatuhu!

I hope you've all had a wonderful time spreading smiles to all those around and having them smiling back at you.

Well, did you?

If yes, then please go back to the previous chapter and comment 'done' before proceeding on and if you didn't, feel free to take a week more to make sure that smile of yours stays intact before coming back.

Do not worry, it wouldn't be considered as showing off and no one's going to judge you here. It is purely for me to know what to put together in the forth coming chapters and for you to encourage yourselves into doing more good deeds Insha'Allah 😊

No matter which country or civilization people belong to, they all have their own specialized greeting which they use to greet their own people; which they take immense pride in and us as Muslims have the best of the best Alhamdulillah. Any guesses?

Of course all of us are aware that it is 'salaam' but what most of us are not aware of is its immense virtues.

Its origin can actually be traced back to when Adam AS was first created. When Allah (swt) created him He said to him, "Go and greet that group of angels who are sitting and listen to how they greet you, for that will be your greeting and the greeting of your descendents." So he (Adam AS) said, "Al salaamu 'alaykum (peace be upon you)," and they said, "Al-salaamu 'alayka wa rahmat-Allaah (Peace be upon you and the mercy of Allaah.)"

So this greeting of ours which we take so lightly was initially used by the first ever human being to exist and was later re-inforced during the time of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

Allaah prescribed that in Islaam, the manner of greeting among Muslims should be "Al-salaamu alaykum," and that this greeting should only be used among Muslims and not for other nations. The meaning of salaam (literally, peace) is harmlessness, safety and protection from evil and from faults. The name al-Salaam is a Name of Allaah (swt), so the meaning of the greeting salaam is, "May the blessing of His Name descend upon you." The usage of the preposition 'ala in 'alaykum (upon you) indicates that the greeting is inclusive.

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) explained that this salaam spreads love and brotherhood. Muslim (54), Ahmad (2/391), and al-Tirmidhi (2513) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (pbuh) said:

"You will not enter Paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Shall I not tell you about something which, if you do it, you will love one another? Spread salaam amongst yourselves." Subhanallah!

The Prophet (pbuh) also explained the reward earned by the one who says salaam, as was reported by al-Nisaa'i in 'Aml al-yawm wa'l-laylah (368) and al-Bukhaari in al-Adab al-Mufrad (586) and by Ibn Hibban (493). They reported from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that a man passed by the Messenger of Allaah (pbuh) whilst he was sitting with some others, and said "Salaam 'alaykum (peace be upon you)." The Prophet (pbuh) said, "[He will have] ten hasanaat (rewards)." Another man passed by and said "Salaam 'alaykum wa rahmat-Allaah (peace be upon you and the mercy of Allaah)." The Prophet (pbuh) said, "[He will have] twenty hasanaat." Another man passed by and said "Salaam 'alaykum wa rahmat-Allaahi wa barakaatuhu (peace be upon you and the mercy of Allaah and His blessings)." The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, "[He will have] thirty hasanaat."

Such an easy task to earn thirty hasanaat! Just two phrases, hardly three seconds and voila! You've made thirty hasanaat. This is just for one time. Imagine how much you'd be gaining for all those people you meet on a daily basis. Thirty times all those people you meet is sure to give you a large number every day. Ponder a little and act before it's too late.

And please do not try using 'salamz' and other short forms to sound trendy. Sunnah is the best of what you could practice. Use the complete phrase.

Moreover, I wanted to tell you something else as well

Moreover, I wanted to tell you something else as well. Some people belonging to India and Pakistan have this habit of pronouncing salaam in a weird manner. It sounds like salalekum or slalekum and so on. Astagfirallah. Even the slightest mispronounciation of the Arabic text changes the meaning of things to a whole extent, sometimes even to a grave extent. Please refrain from doing that. Make sure you pronounce it correctly. It's a blessing for all of us and the last thing we need to do is sabotage its meaning or turn it against us.

Now for its most important virtue : It helps in maintaining our relationships. No matter how strained your relationship is with someone, do not ever skip greeting them. This is coming from a person who hated every minute of ignoring some people even though they were in the wrong. Trust me, it's best to wish all those you encounter. Don't take it as an excuse to greet and smile na mehram. That you're not expected to. It is not even obligatory upon you. Don't do it and have your parents coming behind me with a shotgun 😁

It is clear that it is obligatory to say salaam and return salaams, because by doing so a Muslim is giving you safety and you have to give him safety in return. It is as if he is saying to you, "I am giving you safety and security," so you have to give him the same, so that he does not get suspicious or think that the one to whom he has given salaam is betraying him or ignoring him.

The Prophet (pbuh) told us that if Muslims are ignoring or forsaking one another, this will be put to an end when one of them gives salaam.

Al-Bukhaari (6233) reported that Abu Ayyoob (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "The Messenger of Allaah (pbuh) said: 'It is not permissible for a Muslim to forsake his brother for more than three days, each of them turning away from the other if they meet. The better of them is the first one to say salaam.'"

You've already been smiling this preparatory week, so just include the greeting with a sweet disposition for the next. That would be your next assignment. Wish people!

Assalamu alaikum warahmathullahi wabarakatuhu!

****