Chapter XVI: Hoped

"No man knows till he experiences it, what it is like to feel his own life-blood drawn away into the woman he loves." -Bram Stoker, Dracula

Chapter XVI: Hoped

The night before

Drake gently placed Rose down on the bed and enveloped her small body in the covers. He smiled as he watched her pull the pillow under her head; her legs sprawled out under the silky, crimson sheets. She looked beautiful like that. Just lying there looking up at him through those innocent eyes of hers.

"Will you sleep with me?" She asked.

The vampire's eyes flickered down to her lips and he felt an unquenchable desire curl low in his stomach, a growl growing deep in his chest. He could see the pulse thudding steadily beneath the bite mark on her neck and he swallowed. He wanted to bed her right then and there. To nip and taste and drink from her to extinguish the fire burning painfully in his throat.

But her eyes, so blue, bright and full of trust, made him want to control himself, made him want to wait. She was more than just some tasty human to him; she was... important.

"You don't know how much I want to," Drake said wistfully.

He could feel it flaring stronger now, his need to consume her in the fire and ice his touch brought her. He sighed. No, he had to control himself. He would do that for her; he'd do anything for her.

"But you heard Raoul. I have to go to the dungeon," he said finally.

"But am I safe here alone?" She asked.

Drake hated to hear the alarm in her voice. "I'm going to find Heath to watch over you while I'm gone and when you wake up I'll be lying right beside you, okay? Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you again."

Drake bent over her and placed a soft kiss to her forehead. "Sweet dreams my sweet passion flower." He smiled into her warm skin and knew he wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world. When he was with her he was home.

He stood up and felt the absence of her presence immediately. He wished he could stay, but he knew he was needed elsewhere. Her long eyelashes fluttered shut and then her breathing shallowed as she feel as sleep. She looked peaceful in slumber, her face devoid of any worry or doubt. He was thankful for it, for it gave him the strength to turn around and leave the room.

Drake closed the door behind him, feeling as if he had left a piece of himself behind. He didn't want to leave her. But duty always came before anything else. Besides, he had a bad feeling. It was starting to gnaw at his insides, making his faint pulse quicken and his hands ball onto tight fists.

Whatever awaited him in the dungeon was going to change everything.

He ran his hands through his ebony hair and walked a little slower through the palace. He was experiencing something akin to dread and he didn't know how to handle it. Before Rose came into his life, he didn't really feel anything. It was like he was cloaked in darkness, a hood casting a shadow over his eyes that prevented him from seeing anything.

But now here she was, with her raven hair and rosy cheeks, daring to pull the hood back from his face to reveal his grey eyes. He could finally see the world now and it scared him. Everything looked different now. Brighter. He could feel the darkness tearing off his back and for the first time he was left bare.

He had nothing to hide behind anymore.

He had someone special to be good for now, someone who was special and deserved so much more than what he knew. She touched his life with light and he wasn't going to take that for granted. Not ever. No matter how desperately his vampire side wanted to loss control, to stain her spotless heart black.