You're Scary when You're Scared

I got up the morning of the Sunday with a bizarre sense of dread, not knowing what it meant. I decided I was too lazy and dressed in a Hufflepuff hoodie and sweatpants, lacing up my painted Hufflpuff converse high tops. I told you that I had a passion for those shoes. I grabbed my bag and filled it with my Herbology books.

I was to meet Draco in an unused classroom near the Ravenclaw dormitories, one of the only rooms that weren’t used by any teacher. The room was dark and damp, with the stacks of tables against the wall. Draco wasn’t there yet, so I set up a table in the middle of the room and lit a few more torches to brighten the room a little more.

“Hey, cream puff,” sneered Draco, when he walked into the room.

“Hey, snakie,” I felt a smile tug at my lips, but was smart to settle on a smirk. Don’t want to seem weird.

“So, what is it that I am to learn on this fine day?” he asked. He dropped into his seat, books slapping loudly on the table. He leaned back in his chair and interlocked his fingers behind his head. His hair wasn't greased back like usual today, it was messed and sticking out in places, like he just woke up. It was really cute.

“Well, look who’s an eager beaver?” I joked.

He shrugged in response. “Okay, well we are almost caught up with where we are in class-,”

“Do you really fancy Jordan?” he cut me off.

“Um, why?” I asked, taken aback.

“I don’t know, just wondering,” he said, shrugging nonchalantly.

“Well, if you want to know so bad, no I don’t,” I answered.

“Then why are you going to the ball with him?” he asked.

“Because-,” I never got to finish because I was cut off again with a loud ear-splitting shriek from outside the room. I jumped an almost full foot in the air and dropped my books and Draco fell out of his chair.

“What the hell?” he asked, alarmed.

“Come on,” I ordered, grabbing his hand and helped him up to his feet.

We rushed outside, my heart pounding with the shock. I looked around and saw a girl running down the hall, looking terrified. I recognized her as Mandy Brocklehurst, a Ravenclaw in my year and she saw me and screamed my name, sprinting to my side.

“Kora! Kora, it was—I found her, I couldn’t even recognize her. I don’t know if—I’m so sorry, Kora!” she squealed, hysterically.

“Mandy, calm down. Tell me what happened,” I consoled her.

She swallowed hard and gasped for breaths. “It’s Grace,” she whispered.

My stomach dropped to the floor and my heart skipped a beat. But, my head became sharp and aware.

“Tell me what happened,” I demanded, slowly.

“She was lying on the floor and—and—she didn’t look—I didn’t see her get up this morning—there was so much blood—there was a knife next to her—I don’t know what happened,” she stammered, breathing hard. Tears wet her face and she started sobbing.

“Okay, okay, it’s okay,” I told her, not knowing if it was true or not. “Draco, go get Flitwick, now,” I ordered him, rounding on him.

“What the hell is going-,” he started to say, confused.

“DRACO, GO AND GET FLITWICK RIGHT NOW OR SO HELP ME I WILL MAKE YOU MISERABLE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!” I screamed at him. There was no time to deal with him.