Things might not always be as they seem

The next morning, I packed my weapons along and gave Judith breakfast quickly. I didn't know if her family was still alive, but if it was, I didn't want to miss them. As much as I would enjoy keeping Judith close to me, I couldn't. I still had my mission to carry and, since I was the only one with the cure, Judith would be in danger with me. It would be selfish to put her in danger just to have some company. 

On that thought, I opened the door, embracing the view of an empty street. No humans or walkers were on my line of sight. As I was about to leave the house, I felt something tug on my shirt. I turned around to face Judith, tears swallowing up her eyes.

"Don't leave me alone, I want to go with you!"

"No, it's dangerous out there, okay? I need you to stay here, understand?"

She shook her head as she started to cry again.

Gosh... I thought, a bit tired of all the whining.

Honestly, I understood her situation. It's hard to lose our family, but can't she just do as I say?

I sighed and scratched the back of my neck. I looked back at the street. Empty. There weren't many walkers in this town as it would seem. Well, I told myself that if we don't make too much sound, we wouldn't attract their attention.

"Fine... but you have to listen to everything I say."

She took my hand in hers as we started our way outside, a huge grin suddenly appearing on her face. As I suspected, there weren't many walkers. The only walkers we found were loners; I killed them quickly as we continued on our way to find her family. We passed by an open gas station where we found some granola. I also grabbed some dry fruits and a few water bottles for future use. 

"My dad must be worried for me..." said Judith as we were walking out of the building. "My big brother too. His name is Carl and he's as old as you! Maybe you two could become friends?"

"Yeah, maybe." I said, not really listening.

"I have a group! I love all of them, but mostly Maggie! She's really nice with me! I don't really like Daryl, though. He always says bad words and ..."

As we were getting closer to the place where I first met the kid, I felt a pressure on my heard, followed by the click of a gun.

"Let her go or I shoot. Now." said a feminine voice behind me.

I swallowed my saliva as I let go of Judith's hand. 

"Put your weapons down."

I carefully slid my bow off my shoulder to the ground, out of my reach, followed by my swords.

"Carol!" I heard Judith yell with a mixture of excitement and anxiety.

"Now, put your hands on your head," said the woman – Carol certainly.

"Wait! Carol!" continued Judith, now panicked. "She's my friend, she saved me! Please don't hurt her! Her name is [Y/N] and she just wanted to help me find daddy and Carl!"

"We can't take any chance, sweetie. She could be a threat."

"No, she's not! Please, Carol, trust me!"

At this point, I didn't dare say anything. I just heard their exchange, not moving by an inch. I guess that even if I would try to do a heroic move, I would probably die anyway.

An awkward silence filled the air. I'm guessing that woman was trying to figure out if I was a threat or not. After a few seconds, Carol spoke up:

"How many walkers did you kill?"