Farewell

"We need more food," stated Ana, a serious look on her face.

Even after all the runs we've been making, we soon had to notice that our resources were growing low. We weren't bringing enough food to supply what we were eating.

"Indeed we do," added Ethan.

"On our way, we saw a market only an hour ago, we could..." started Michael, before being cut off by Ethan:

"No, most of the time, town equals a shit-ton of walkers."

"We have to face the truth. That town was the only one there is for kilometres. We don't have a lot of gas left. That town was filled with abandoned cars, I'm sure some of them are still full. If we're silent, the walkers won't see us. 30 minutes max and we go back to the cars. Also, we didn't see a lot of them." said Christopher.

Indeed, when we passed in a small town, we saw a huge market for food. From the windows, we could see approximately 6 walkers, but we could suppose there's more. We couldn't take the risk, so I started to argue with my friends:

"No, I agree with Ethan. We can't take the risk, it's too dangerous. Also, what about I go to the city alone? I mean, I'm the only one immunized and..."

"We don't have any time to lose, if you go alone, you'll have to make multiple travels to bring all the supplies we need. It'll take at least 2 hours, if not 3. If we want to make this quick, we'll have to stay all together," argued Ana back.

Before I could speak again, Michael cut me off with a smirk on his face:

"Let's make a vote! It's a democracy, isn't it? So let's go! Who vote to go to the market altogether?"

Ana, Christopher, Webster and Michael raised their hand and looked at Ethan and me with a smirk on their faces.

"And who is against?"

We both raised our hand in a sigh of desperation, knowing in advance that we lost.

"Let's prepare ourselves and go, then!" exclaimed Webster.

That's what we did for the next minutes. Before going, we ate dinner with the leftovers of food we had. The air was filled with laugh and happy talking, except for Ethan and me. Grabbing his fork filled with food to his mouth, he looked deeply concentrated, as if he was trying to conceive a plan for our next move, but in my case, I was just stressed out. I didn't want my friends to get hurt since they were not protected against these monsters.

Getting up soon afterward, we reached the cars and grabbed all of our stuff, not missing anything. Ethan and I shared a last glance in understatement. In mutual understanding, we embarked in the cars, silently promising ourselves to protect the rest of the group.

After an hour, we finally reached the town. Leaving the vehicles at the entry of the city, we parked them in the small ditch beside the road. It was filled with trees and the ground was green with all the grass. Collecting leaves and tree branches, we covered the cars. That way, nobody should be able to see them.