40 : Chore List

"Would you like a cup of tea, Darius?" Mum asked as she hovered by the door waiting for his reply.

"I'll have a coffee, black, no sugar," he said smoothly before turning to me. "Would you like anything after your long trip out?"

I looked at the man who was pretending to be my father and I couldn't relax. Every part of me was rigid and my spine was straighter than a ruler. "No,"

"Are you sure? You must be tired, am I right?"

I didn't respond. The anger that was in his eyes burned at me and if there was ever a moment in my life where I was honest with myself, it'd be this; I was terrified. "Get her a glass of water," Darius ordered. He waited until we could hear Mum fussing about in the kitchen before he leaned forward, his legs spread and his elbows resting on his knees. "How have you been?"

"Okay..." I wasn't stupid, there was a storm brewing and it was only a matter of time before the storm thrashed.

"Hmm, you haven't been coming to talk to me on the phone recently, have you?"

"I thought you'd be busy with your girlfriend," I shrugged, my voice low as I reluctantly answered.

"I've left Melissa a long time ago. Is that really the reason, is that what you've been telling your mother and sister?"

"It's what I've been telling everyone," I looked at him, unable to read his dark eyes.

"How's school? How many days do you go in a week?"

Unsteadily, I licked my dry lips. "It's okay."

"Is it? It must be, mustn't it, you've hardly been going."

"I --"

"Don't even think of lying to me, Beatrice. You know what I think of liars."

I stayed quiet.

Thankfully, Mum came back in, blissfully unaware of the tension in the room. She set down a plate of biscuits on her fine china and a cold glass of water. "The coffee will be ready soon." She smiled brightly at Darius before leaving the room again.

"Where were you?"

I gave a shrug, not wanting to answer with the truth but knowing I couldn't tell a lie.

"What does that mean? Use your mouth. Tell me where you were."

It happened all too quickly. From the corner of my eye I noticed him move and the next fast second I was splashed in the face with ice cold water. I spluttered, shocked, shaking my head as the wet drops snuck into my clothes and slid down my skin, chilling me and raising small goosebumps. I looked up to see Darius coldly glaring at me. "Answer me when I'm talking to you, child!"

I clenched my hands and his eyes narrowed in on the movement. "What's that?" He said quietly, his tone dangerous. "What are you going to do, hit me? Unfold your hands."

Mum came back in, the coffee cup in her hand. She paused when she saw me dripping wet. Darius gave her a convincing smile. "Ah, the coffee, thank you, dear."

She frowned as she passed the cup over, looking at me. "Why are you wet, Beatrice?"

Darius answered for me. "She said she felt hot, she just split the whole glass on her face. Is she on drugs?"

"No, I'm not!" I spat furiously. Darius sent me a warning look.

"Then you must be coming down with something, I'm not surprised though, being out all night like that. Where were you?" He rubbed Mum's shoulder comfortingly. "Your poor mother was almost out of her mind with worry. She was ready to call the police. I told her to wait."