48 Seems Fishy

Leng Jin Yu took a deep breath tocalm down and nodded as a greeting as if it was nothing strange tostand in front of the God of War and answer his questions. "Indeed."

Qiang Yan didn't look at him andinstead focused on the place where Shun Tao had disappeared. Hecouldn't believe what he had seen. "Was he with a woman justnow?"

"Her name is Hong Bao."

"Hong Bao?" Qiang Yanrepeated the name quietly. "What kind of goddess is she?"He turned around and found a young man in front of him. Wasn't thisone of the young gods from the courtyard the Fate's Scribe hadspied on some days ago? Qiang Yan looked at the gate next to them andrecognized it as the entrance to exactly that courtyard. Acoincidence?

"She is only a servant girl.She helps the Fate's Scribe with an assignment at the moment."

Assignment? So was she the help hehad gotten himself? But then why ... "He seemed like he wasrunning away from something."

"He probably didn't wantpeople to see him with her. That assignment should be something hewants to keep a secret."

Qiang Yan grinned. That hadn'tworked too well, had it? Not only had he seen him together with thatgirl, even this young god knew about them and the assignment eventhough he was one of the idle gods.

Qiang Yan examined him. Instead ofone of the colorful robes the other idle gods liked, he wore a plainwhite robe with an inconspicuous embroidery as the only adornment.Even his hair had been combed back and was held in place with asimple jade hairpin so it wouldn't get in the way.

Mn, not bad, not bad. This was thetype of person he liked.

His gaze traveled downward to thesword Leng Jin Yu held at his side and his eyes sparkled. Someone whowas following the way of the sword. Not bad indeed! He should take acloser look at this person. Maybe he could be a good addition to hispalace. At least he liked what he had seen until now.

Never mind his tidy outwardappearance, his attitude was also remarkable. Qiang Yan had seen toomany young gods getting flustered in front of him already but thisperson hadn't as much as blinked even though he had recognized him.That wasn't anything to scoff at. If his talent with the sword wasup to par to this first impression ...

But, well, it was too soon to decideon anything. He should first find out a little more about him. Mn,what a coincidence that they already had something they could talkabout.

"So if this mission is sosecret, then how do you know about it?"

"Hong Bao, that servant girl,she asked me about some information regarding the idle gods anddeities inside. I inquired the general gist of what's going on fromher."

"So it's like that."Qiang Yan nodded and looked at the courtyard again. Not answeringright away but finding out the reason for her questions, that was theright decision. Most idle gods or, no, most gods actually were toochatty in that regard. It wasn't a problem most of the time but itwas still better to keep some things to oneself. "What did sheask about?"

"The identity of some of thegods and their recent activities. Today, she was especiallyinterested in details regarding the people in the mortal world theyobserved. Well, Hong Bao said the Fate's Scribe didn't need toknow whom exactly they observed but some general information liketheir gender and age so details might not be the right way to putit."

Qiang Yan wanted to nod butsomething didn't feel right. "The people they observe?"He furrowed his brow. He wasn't too familiar with the specifictasks of the Fate's Scribe and normally he didn't care either butwhat Leng Jin Yu had said made him feel strange.

Something was fishy here ...

"That seems interesting. Howabout following me to the God of War's palace and telling me more?"

Leng Jin Yu slightly raised hisbrows. This was a great opportunity to get to know the God of War andmaybe leave him with a good impression but it might also become aproblem in the future. "Will that be alright? Hong Bao asked mefor help but the Fate's Scribe shouldn't want anyone to know."

"Hogwash!" Qiang Yangrabbed his shoulder and pulled him along just like Shun Tao had donewith Hong Bao. "That Fate's Scribe is only afraid those younggods might know about it and try to deceive him. I already know hewants to find someone for the scribe's palace. I'd even ask himabout the details but he's busy with another important task."

"Important task?" Leng JinYu couldn't help but repeat the words quietly.

"What is it?"

"Nothing. It's just that HongBao mentioned that he sometimes seemed to be deep in thought when shespoke to him."

"Really? And here I thoughtthat Shun Tao was so popular with the womenfolk." Qiang Yanlaughed but his gut feeling that told him something bad was going ongrew even stronger. What was that Fate's Scribe so concerned aboutthat he would even dwell on it while the one supposed to help himreported to him?

"He is as far as I heard."

"Mn." Qiang Yan didn'tcare about that one bit. He was more interested in finding out whatexactly was making him feel so strange about this.

Qiang Yan led Leng Jin Yu to hispalace and into his study. He didn't bother with pleasantries andjust outright poured a cup of tea for each of them while waving atthe chair on the other side of the table.

"Sit down, sit down. My God ofWar's palace is a little plain. I hope you don't mind. So ...What exactly did he want to know? Was there anything special aboutit?"

"As far as I know there weremainly three gods he was concerned about."

Leng Jin Yu started to explain.Since the God of War had already said that he knew about theassignment and since he was a god with an official status too therewas no need to keep anything hidden.

Qiang Yan's eyebrows drew furthertogether, the longer he listened. He didn't know why but his senseswere tingling. Why did Shun Tao care so much about this assignment?Why had he been so nervous and let his thoughts wander? Why was heinterested in these gods especially? And why was he interested in thetype of people they observed?

He couldn't find an answer rightnow but he didn't intend to give up so easily. He would find outwhat exactly was going on with the Fate's Scribe.