18 A Heavenly Vision

Jing Yi stayed beside his mother andwouldn't go back to spend time with the girls regardless of howthey or their mothers begged him. Madam Zhong smiled when the otherwomen teased her about it and patted her son's head. "He'sjust a little shy. What's so bad about it?"

Jing Yi grabbed onto her skirt andrefused to budge an inch. His eyes warily darted about. He looked atthe mud one time, then at the girls another time, finally evenexamining the laundry his mother had done.

"What is it, Jing'er?"

His mother bent down to ask him butthis time her obedient son didn't want to answer her. He didn'twant his mother to remember he had nearly fallen!

Qiu Ling grinned. Mn, this was justperfect! He would be an idiot if he didn't make use of this! Hefollowed the two of them home and waited for the night to come. Healready had a plan but he still needed an opportunity to implementit. Considering how the last weeks had passed he knew that MadamZhong wouldn't leave her son out of her sight soon. He didn'twant to wait that long though.

"If there's no opportunitygiven, I'll just have to create one myself."

Soon enough, night fell and theZhongs went to bed. Qiu Ling waited a while, then he stood up andwent to their bedside. He extended his hand and put the tip of hisfinger against Mister Zhong's forehead. "Have a sweet dreamand don't disappoint me tomorrow." Saying so, he turned aroundand settled down at Jing Yi's bedside.

Meanwhile, Mister Zhong entered adream: He saw himself kidnapping his own son and bringing him intothe forest under the cover of the night. His son woke up with thefirst rays of sunlight. He blinked his doe eyes and noticed that hewasn't at home.

Jing Yi seemed fearful at first butafter looking around he warmed up a little. He curiously examined theplants and animals around him and followed his father all around theforest. They came home late that day and Madam Zhong was furious andscolded the two of them but father and son just looked at each otherand smiled. They regretted nothing.

Mister Zhong woke up with a smile inthe dead of the night. He looked at his wife who was fast asleep.This dream couldn't be a coincidence! Hadn't he fruitlessly triedto coax his son into going outside for a few weeks already? The godsfavored his son. He was sure of that after that Daoist Master hadcome by twice for his Jing Yi's sake. So maybe the gods had beenmoved by his tireless efforts. They also wanted Jing Yi to be morelike the other boys so they sent him this dream as a solution to hisproblem!

Grateful for such divine guidanceMister Zhong quietly crept out of the bed and got dressed. Hestealthily searched for something he and his son could eat while outin the wilderness and packed it up. Next, he took Jing Yi's clothesand looked at his sleeping child.

Mister Zhong was at a loss. How todress him and take him away without him or his mother noticing?

Qiu Ling sighed. Really, maybe heshould have just taken Jing Yi himself. But he knew he wouldn't beable to bring himself to abandon him alone at the forest. The boywould be terrified and probably never set one foot out of the doorfor the rest of his days. With a wave of his hand, both Madam Zhongand Jing Yi were caught in a sleep spell.

By now, Mister Zhong had persuadedhimself that everything would go well if he was fast enough. Hepulled the blanket away and dressed his son as fast as possible. Thechild didn't wake up and Mister Zhong experienced a rare feeling ofaccomplishment.

I'm such a great father! Jing Yiwill be elated when he finds out that I was right all along. Fromtomorrow onward he'll pester me every day to bring him to theforest again!

Mister Zhong was incredibly sure ofthis so he picked up the bundle with their food, took his son intohis arms and glanced at his wife again. Then he left the house andwent into the forest.

It hadn't been long since winterended. This early in the morning, it was bitingly cold outside. JingYi curled up in his father's embrace, shivering a little from thewind. Qiu Ling furrowed his brow. Mister Zhong didn't noticeanything and Jing Yi was still under the sleeping spell so he alsocouldn't wake up to voice his discomfort.

"What kind of father are you?"murmured Qiu Ling but he had already lifted his hand.

The wind stilled at his command, theclouds that had been hanging in the sky slowly drifted aside toreveal the countless stars twinkling over their heads. Thetemperature rose until Qiu Ling was assured that Jing Yi wouldn'tget sick. Thanks to Jing Yi the surrounding villages would getsplendid weather today.

Mister Zhong reached a place in theforest he felt to be good. The river was gurgling not too far awayfrom them and the trees stood a little farther from each other in asmall clearing so that he could see the sky. He settled down at theroots of a tree and sat his son on his lap.

How long could it take for Jing Yito wake up? Probably not that long. Thus Mister Zhong looked aroundin preparation to find the best spots to show to his son later on.

Qiu Ling smiled smugly and liftedthe sleeping spell on Jing Yi. Not only Mister Zhong, but he himselfalso couldn't wait for Jing Yi to wake up. But instead of MisterZhong who wanted to dazzle his son with all the new things around himso he'd take a shine to nature, Qiu Ling's thoughts about thistrip were rather sinister.

Just you wait, he thought. Today isthe day I'll make sure you won't have the possibility to bothermy Jing He ever again!

Qiu Ling, the mighty king of thedragon race, had inexplicably developed a deep-seated hatred forlittle girls. Ah, what would the people of the dragon race say ifthey ever found out?