38 Didn't Think of It

Mister Zhong gulped. He shook hiswife's shoulder and sat up, forcing himself to smile at the manwhile he was shivering inside. Madam Zhong opened her eyes. It wasstill dark. The sun had just started to rise, painting only a sliverof the horizon in a lighter gray. She wanted to ask what had happenedfor her husband to already wake her up when she saw the man.

A bandit!

They both didn't think that he wasjust a wanderer who had started his journey for the day early. Hedidn't look that part at all. He wore mismatched clothing thatseemed to be spoils of his robberies and more than one weapon. Aneven more obvious sign was his smug expression. He still sneered andhis eyes glinted calculatingly as if he was already thinking of howhe could use this prey of his in a way that benefited him the most.

Madam Zhong grabbed Jing Yi andpulled him into her embrace, sliding closer to her husband. MisterZhong stood up, every bit of sleepiness gone. Unfortunately, hisnervousness wouldn't leave him like that.

"Good morning, sir, I wonderhow we may help you?"

The bandit grinned even wider,showing his teeth. "Hand me all your valuables."

Mister Zhong didn't even think ofrefusing. He fumbled around for the few copper coins the family had.Slowly, he made his way over to the bandit and extended his hand.

The man grabbed the coins andscoffed. "The rest?"

Mister Zhong gave a jerk. "That... That is all. We don't have anything else." He backed up astep, positioning himself between the bandit and his family. If worstcame to worst, his wife could try to flee with their son while hestalled him. He didn't have hope for anything more.

The bandit examined Mister Zhong.His clothes were old and not of good quality. It was obvious he was apoor man. The bandit snorted and pushed the coins into his sleeve.Mister Zhong wanted to sigh in relief but the bandit didn't turnaround and leave. Instead, his hand found the handle of his sword.His fingers drummed on the sheath in a steady rhythm while his eyesroamed over the family of three. He clearly wasn't content withwhat he had gotten.

Mister Zhong backed further away,now closer to his family than the bandit. He had to convey his planto his wife somehow.

"You, leave." The banditmotioned to Mister Zhong before he looked back at Madam Zhong and herson. "You, come with me."

"Please, kind sir. These are mywife and son. Our family awaits us back in the capital and —"

"I told you to leave!" Thebandit roared at him, shutting Mister Zhong right up.

Madam Zhong behind him shook,pressing her son closer against her. Jing Yi had woken up with allthe tension around him. He hugged his mother, not sure what to do.

Qiu Ling glanced at him. The boyseemed mostly confused but also a little afraid. He sighed. See, thiswas the kind of opportunity he wanted! Especially with Jing He beingmortal now, he could totally show off his strength! Such a case ofthe hero saving the beauty, wouldn't that smooth the way for afuture relationship? Teaching the bandit a lesson, sweeping hisbeloved up into his arms and comforting him, looking deeply into hiseyes ... Mn, he really wanted to experience that!

But alas, his beloved was too young,his parents were there and he wasn't even that afraid. Seriously,what needed to happen for him to have a good opportunity?

Mister Zhong looked at his wife,signaling her with his eyes to run. She didn't dare nod, afraidthat the bandit might notice something. Her eyes darted around,looking for the best way out. The way down was long, the path barelydistinguishable. Would she be able to outrun that man? Furthermorewith Jing Yi on her arms?

She probably couldn't. They bothknew.

"Don't be afraid." Shepatted her son's back. Now, they could only hope for a miracle.

At this moment, none of them thoughtof the acclaimed Daoist master. Jing Yi still didn't reallyunderstand what had happened and his parents were too afraid to thinkdeeper. They just knew that they needed to get away.

"Hurry up!" The banditunsheathed his sword, tired of waiting for Mister Zhong to comply.

All color drained from MisterZhong's face. He might have had a chance to stall the man if hetook him by surprise and prevented him from drawing his weapon for awhile. But now ... One stroke would be enough to kill him.

He looked at his wife, feeling likethis would be the last time he saw her and their son. "Go backto the village," he mouthed. There was no way she'd be able tomake it to the capital. But if she could somehow outrun this man, shemight be able to go back to the village. The others would help herand when Jing Yi was a little older he could take over one of thepaddies.

Unfortunately, he wouldn't be ableto see that day. They should have never set out for the capital. Whatwas so good about it anyway? His cousin certainly would have foundanother person to man his second stall.

The bandit had enough. He steppedforward. Mister Zhong knew there wasn't any time left. He lungedforward, barely avoiding the sword and throwing the man to theground.

His wife took one last glance athim, turned around and ran. Jing Yi looked back at his father. Thebandit had thrown him to the side and lifted his sword. Jing Yi grewalarmed, wriggling in his mother's embrace.

"Father!"

"Be quiet, Jing'er."Tears streamed down Madam Zhong's face. She accelerated her steps,stumbling down the path they had taken the day before. Mister Zhongwas already out of sight. Not that she would dare to look back. Shedidn't want to see. She didn't want to know. That way, she couldstill hope that her husband might live through some stroke of luckand return home to her.