Chapter Fifteen

My mind was restless after talking to Rhodes. I kept wondering about Barone and I was more concerned that I might not have the protection I was promised. I was getting a little paranoid, but I knew that going about my usual activities wouldn’t make me look suspicious. That’s why I headed to the club.

Gemma was smoking outside. She sat on one of the tables and her feet were on the bench. She appeared to be deep in thought.

“Gemma?” I asked trying my best not to startle her.

“Oh, hey, Quinn. Did you get some rest?”

“Yeah, thanks. Are you okay? You seem a bit out of it.”

“Not now, no. Good thing is, I will be. I always am.”

I knew better than to press the queen of SAMCRO. Gemma obviously was going through some shit and if she wanted to tell me, I’d listen, but I wasn’t going to make her tell me.

“You girls did well while I was away. Not even a single broken glass.”

“To be honest, it took a lot of effort to make sure the guys didn’t break this place down.”

“Welcome to my world, sweetie; always making sure the guys don’t break shit down.”

“You’re a regular Superwoman.”

“Don’t I know it.”

We sat in silence for a minute until Gemma spoke up. “I think I need a beer. Do you want one?”

“Couldn’t hurt,” was all I said. I waited for her to return and awkwardly looked out onto the yard. It was quiet this particular afternoon. The guys were all out doing some club business because not a single motorbike was in sight. The garages had already been closed up and it appeared that it was only Gemma and two Prospects left behind.

“Here,” Gemma said holding out the beer to me. She had opened it already inside.

“Thanks,” I said. I took a big swig while Gemma got back onto the table.

“I hate it when it’s this quiet,” she announced.

“Me too,” I agreed. For me, silence always meant trouble.

“I know you want to know, but you’re probably too scared to ask.”

“Ask what?” I asked dumbly.

“You don’t have to play dumb with me. I’m not one of the guys and I don’t need to feel like I’m in charge.”

“I guess not,” I said and proceeded nervously, “How was your trip?”

“Horrible,” was all she said. Was this woman making me swallow my fear and downright ask where the fuck she’d been and why she was so upset by it?

“Well, that covers it then,” I said with a hint of sarcasm, testing the waters.

“My mother decided to leave my father, yet again. Whenever things get hard she just runs off. And well, I know one day she won’t come back.”

“Why did she leave?”

“He can’t work anymore. He’s old so he’s looking into retiring. She knows it will be far less money than she’s used to getting and that is a problem for her. She always has had a problem with the amount of money my dad earned, and let’s just say his retirement will be less than satisfying.”

“Some people only want to stick around for the good times. As soon as it gets hard, they bolt.”

Gemma turned to look at me. “Seems like you’ve had some experience.”

“Yeah, I guess-”

“Gemma!” a voice came from behind us.

“Luanne, Jesus. You don’t have to announce it to the entire block that you are here.”

“I thought I’d share some exciting news,” Luanne said and held up a bottle of champagne. Somehow I felt like it was too classy for this joint.

In the distance the office phone rang.

“Well, it’s going to have to wait until I get back,” Gemma said and briskly walked to the office.

Luanne looked disappointed that her friend wasn’t more enthusiastic to hear her news, but her frown quickly faded and she quickly turned to me.

“Well, maybe you’ll be a bit more excited for me. I just got all the papers in order to run my own porn studio. My days of playing a M.I.L.F. is over.”

“Great,” I said with all the smile I could muster.

“I’m just going to go pop this open,” Luanne said and hurried off into the clubhouse.

“Oh, Quinn,” she said before opening the door, “You should really come see me about taking on a role in one of my pornos. You could make some cash.” She then disappeared inside.

“Quinn!” Gemma called from the office.

I hurried over. “You called?” I asked peering inside.

“It’s for you. I’m going to go see what Luanne is on about,” Gemma said leaving me alone. She didn’t seem to care that someone was calling the garage looking for me. I, on the other hand, was a little confused.

“Hello?” I answered uncertainly.

“Is this Quinn Harper?” a woman’s voice came from the other side.

“Yes?”

“My name is Linda Rhodes. You knew my husband.” She seemed a bit nervous. Good, I thought. This woman was looking to get us both killed.

“Mrs Rhodes, now isn’t a good time. I’m sure your husband would tell you to call me at the motel. This isn’t the place to have any conversation.”

“The motel lines might not be safe. My husband wouldn’t have wanted me to call there.”

“What do you mean he wouldn’t have?” I said. I looked outside the window real quick. The yard was still quiet and no one seemed to be paying attention to what I was doing in the office.

“He’s dead,” she said abruptly.

“What?” I asked. I was dumbstruck.

“I’m going to meet you soon. But I can tell you one thing. You were right all along.”

She then hung up the phone.