Chapter Three

The walk home was all but pleasant. Rhodes obviously had enough of my shit and he left me at the police station to go on my merry way. Does he know what it feels like to walk ten blocks in stilettos? I didn't fucking think so. That's why I took my shoes off the minute I entered the apartment I shared with my (what shall we call him?) live-in companion.

My feet were burning, my head was pounding and all I wanted to do was shower and sleep off the hangover. I tossed my faux fur coat on a chair and saw a figure huddled underneath the comforter on the bed.

The apartment was a small bachelor apartment. It had an open kitchen, living room and bedroom all in one. It was only the bathroom that was separate from the rest.

My head was pounding so badly I didn't notice the sound coming from the bathroom when I entered. Instead I headed to the other side of the bed trying to remove one of my earrings. My hands were trembling so bad from feeling like utter shit I couldn't get the damn thing out of my ear.

I looked over to the figure underneath the covers again. Lo and behold, the top of a blonde head of hair was sticking out; hair that definitely did not belong to the dark haired Tony I slept next to.

I yanked the covers back and a tiny blonde sleepily turned around. "No, I don't want to get up yet," she said groggily.

"Well, you better fucking get up sweetheart or you'll be picking your severed tits up from the floor in about ten seconds," I said. Suddenly the sleep was gone from her eyes and she stared at me worriedly.

"Tony!" I yelled as I yanked open the bathroom door. He had just gotten out of the shower, a towel wrapped around his naked bottom.

"Knock much?" he asked.

"What the fuck is she doing in my bed?" I asked pointing towards the girl who was now putting on her underwear.

Tony calmly walked right by my and glanced at the girl. "Candy, you aren't going anywhere,' he simply said, "This isn't your apartment, Quinn."

I stared at him in utter disbelief. "What in the actual fuck, Tony. I pay half of the rent!"

"By half the rent do you mean the few dollars you contribute from your cock sucking abilities?" he asked tilting his head to the side as if I was a stupid child that couldn't understand.

"Yeah only because you pocket most of the fucking money," I retorted.

"A pimp's gotta eat," he chuckled and winked at the frightened Candy who was standing half-dressed and completely confused next to the bed.

"You're a fucking dick," I yelled.

"That might be true, but at least I know a worn out pussy when I see one," he said eyeing me.

My blood was boiling. I wanted to call him every bad name in the book. I wanted to hurl things at him, beat his head into the ground and cut his dick off, but my body wouldn't move.

Instead, I picked up my shoes and jacket and headed for the door. I paused in front of it and turned back.

"Your day will come," I said to Tony, "And when it does, remember my face. Because if I'm not the one pulling the trigger, I at least want you to remember what you did to me on this day."

He kept a straight face, obviously unshaken by my words.

"Oh and Candy," I said turning towards her, "Keep that pretty face of yours well protected. 'Cause if you don't, it will be hanging on my wall next to the other whores that crossed me."

I slammed the door behind me and stormed out the building. Once outside I dug in my coat pocket and took out some changed and headed for the nearest payphone. I dialed the only number I knew by heart.

"Cassandra? Do you guys still run your little side business?"

***

The night was a little chilly as we exited Cassandra's apartment building. After a hot shower, two hour nap, and a change of clothes (oh, and about an hour's worth of bitching about Tony's flawed character), we were ready to hit the streets. Or should I rather say street?

My feet were still hurting from the morning's walk so I borrowed some less torturous shoes from Cassandra. Knee high heeled boots that were flattering enough, but comfortable enough to stand in for some time. I looked a little like Julia Roberts this particular evening. But unlike her, I sure as hell was not going to meet my Richard Gear tonight.

We made it to our designated street a short while later. Cassandra was picked up ten minutes into it, and I was left standing along next to a streetlight. The street was pretty quiet. It was a backroad in an industrial area so most of its mundane activity occurred during the day. During the night, however, we practically owned it. On every corner for about three blocks the girls would stand and waiting for the next customer to arrive. I wasn't as lucky as Cas this particular night.

Eventually I saw a car pull into the street and pass all the other girls. I straightened up trying to look appealing. This one was either lost or looking for something in particular.

But it wasn't just any old car. And unfortunately I realised this too late.

"Shit," I muttered.

The broken light from the far end of the street hid the vehicle's features quite well. Before I knew it, none other than Officer Rhodes stopped right in front of me. He wasn't in a squad car, nor was he wearing his uniform. No wonder the girls didn't scatter.

"Get in," he said.

"Why, officer, aren't you married? You could get into a lot of trouble for this," I said leaning into the open passenger window.

"You have two choices, Quinn. Either you get in or I call for backup to cuff and arrest not only you but every other hooker on this street."

"Well, cuffs are an extra fifty," I said winking.

He could have killed me his eyes at that moment. "Jeez, okay fine. I'll get in. I really do wish you'd grow a sense of humour."