Epilogue

The cold from the floor sent a shiver through her body as she placed her feet on it. As always, the thermostat was set way below than she preferred. She picked up the remote from the side table and turned the AC off, then took her phone to check the time. 7.36 am. Despite getting out of habit of waking up early, today she wasn't able sleep till late even if she wanted to. It was as if her brain was signaling her to avoid the rush. To top it all off, there was a certain nervousness that kept her on the edge.

After freshening up, Samara went downstairs, straight to the kitchen to make herself a cup of coffee. Without it, she knew she'd be feeling drowsy by the end of the day, which she couldn't afford, especially today at all costs. It had become a sort of routine for her, to stand in the balcony and sip her coffee as she looked around and enjoyed the daily activities going on in the streets. Vendor who were selling tea in the makeshift tin stalls they had set up. Mothers holding hands of their kids while walking them to the school bus. A group of elderly citizens chatting with each other, strolling in the park. It was quite a different view from the one she had back in New York. Both cities were poles apart. Initially, she had thought it would be difficult to adjust to the new surroundings, but it proved to be easier than she thought. Five years went by at the blink of an eye.

Armaan had always tried to make sure she wouldn't feel out of place in a city completely foreign to her. Much to his delight, both Karachi and Samara were warm and accepting towards each other. The seven years of their marriage wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. They had their own fair share of problems, but when two people put in a 110% into their relationship, they can make it work. 

They lived in New York two years after their wedding, until Samara had completed her fellowship. Those two years were demanding for both of them, with Armaan constantly travelling to Karachi to set his record company, while Samara's job required her to be around at the hospital almost at all times. However, regardless of the very busy schedule, they tried their best to manage time for each other. When her fellowship was complete, Dr. Samara Armaan Yasir had decided to take up a job in Karachi, as a pediatric cardio specialist. To her, what mattered the most was her being able to practice medicine and help her patients, whether it was in New York or Karachi. About a year after coming to Karachi, she realized her true potential. There were so many patients who needed adequate treatment, who needed her. She was to become one of the pioneers of fetal surgery in the country and she was absolutely ecstatic to be a part of such a revolutionary change. Somewhere in her heart she knew that her decision was a right one, but life had given her more than she could ever ask for.

As she was lost in thoughts, Samara felt an arm snake around her waist. He placed a kiss on her cheeks, which was feeling warm against his cold skin.

"Good morning."

"Good morning. Armaan you've got to stop turning the temperature so low. It was literally freezing it the morning."

He looked at her making an innocent face.

"But I like it when it's cold. Actually I like the way you snuggle when it's cold." A playful smirk appeared on his face as she rolled her eyes.

"You're up early. Last night you went to bed late, you could have slept a little more you know?"

"Yeah, but I wasn't able to sleep. Was having all kind of nightmares that I'm late for work." Armaan giggled at her reply.

"Don't worry you won't be late. Why are you getting so nervous?"

"I don't know Armaan. It's my first day back at the hospital after a long time and that too in a much important position. I don't want to goof up today."

Armaan placed his hands on her shoulders and gripped it firmly.

"Samara, the hospital didn't give you the job without thinking. Head of pediatric cardiology is a very big position, and they know you are capable enough to handle it. Moreover, you have got so much support from your peers and seniors. Why are you worrying? You will go to the hospital today and take up your responsibilities with confidence. Okay?"