Chapter 15

Stars were gleaming with pride in the dark night sky. He looked up and wondered in bewilderment. Armaan Yasir was a man of faith. He wasn't devoutly religious but he believed in the one who wrote fates, the one who always looked out for him. There would be days where he sat down and prayed wholeheartedly. However, in the last few years, praying had gotten out of habit and he was regretful about it.

The sound of footsteps broke the silence surrounding his thoughts. He didn't need to turn around.

"Hi. What are you doing out here?"

"Nothing. Just stargazing. It's quite a fascinating thing to do. Gives you a kind of unthinkable solace."

"That's.......deep." Samara sat down on the steps beside him. The stone floor was pretty cold.

"How've you been? I see you've gotten along well with everybody here."

"Your family is really sweet; they've welcomed me so warmly. And I've been okay, although work has been hectic recently. But at least it helps me keep my mind off things." Armaan looked at her, as if he wanted to say something. A lot of things. But he didn't.

"I wanted to thank you for what you said inside. I mean, I know the question was meant only as a joke, but still, thank you."

"Samara, you know I don't say things I don't mean. I really do respect what you do. You're a fantastic doctor. Kind, empathetic and diligent. And I know you'll make a brilliant surgeon one day. "

"Thank you Armaan." The smile shared between them was followed by a brief silence. The air around them was strangely buoyant. The winds were melodious, celebrating in their own happy space.

"I met your mom today."

"You did?" He widened his eyes.

Samara nodded.

"She was...intimidating."

Armaan let out a low laugh. "I know. It's an old habit of hers. Her presence is quite daunting for the ones around. What'd she say?"

"Nothing much. Just that she was regretful about not being able to come at our engagement. And that she was glad you've found someone and decided to get married. She seemed to be happy for you. Not that I'm advocating on her behalf, I'm jus-"

"It's okay. You're allowed to have your own opinions. It doesn't have to be biased based on my equation with her. I never said she wasn't happy for me. But I wish she would become a part of my happiness too."

Samara tried to divert his attention.

"She is very pretty though." A picture started to form in her mind. She was tall and fit, wearing a simple saree with hair tied in a neat bun. The woman had an aura of elegance about her.

"You look a lot like her. Although I think she beats you in charm. She has a way with words."

"That is why she is such renowned journalist. The last I heard she was the official spokesperson for BBC Pakistan. She has always been good at what she does."

Samara could feel a striking sense of confusion in him. His heart and mind were in two different places. On one hand, he was proud of his mother and what she was, but on the other, there was contrariety about the fact that he had to grow up without her, owing to the very thing that made her so successful.

"I think I should go inside now. It's very late. I've to catch up on some sleep and wake early to help khaala get ready."

"Yeah sure. Go get some rest." She got up, grateful that there wasn't any awkwardness between them like she had been dreading.

"Samara? Thank you for coming."

"You don't have to thank me for doing the things I like doing. They're not just your family anymore." he smiled at her.

"Goodnight Armaan."

"Goodnight."

*******

"And that's it khaala, you're officially a bride. And a really beautiful one."

"Thank you Samara."

She did make a beautiful bride. Her felicity was glowing on her face. Finding a life partner, especially at a mature age wasn't easy, but she found one. Brendon was the other piece of the puzzle. He and Zeba just fit together. Two people with similar nature, with common interests and a whole lot of compatibility. When the foundation of marriage is laid on something that strong, it was going to last against all odds. Samara subconsciously wondered, whether she and Armaan were destined to have the same.

She caught on something from the corner of her eye and turned her gaze towards the door. He was wearing a navy blue suit with a white shirt and grey tie. The man undeniably had a great sense of fashion, but there was something more to his attire that day that made him look exquisitely handsome. Happiness.

"Oh my god. Khaala, you look.......beautiful."

"Yes I've been told that already." Both women looked at each other and giggled.

"You ready to go down? Maulvi saab's here and I don't think I can keep Brendon waiting anymore." A wave of laughter broke out. Two of the little girls came up to the room to escort Zeba downstairs, leaving Armaan and Samara alone in each other's company.

He walked closer and stopped a few steps away from her. She wore a simple powder blue lehenga with gold embellishments, with her hair let down. The soft curls fell gracefully over her shoulder, and the middle parting was adorned with a small maang tikka.

How was he ever going to take his eyes off her?

"Do you want to say something?"

"No."

Not that she objected. His smile was telling her everything.

"Let's go down. Everybody's waiting." He turned around and starting to walk towards the door, but stopped short when he felt a hand grab him by the wrist. Samara gently pulled him closer and put a dot of kohl under his right ear.

"Maa says it protects you from the evil eye."

"You believe in all this?"

"No. But with how you're looking today, I didn't want to take a chance."

Samara foolishly gaped at him for a while. His smile was so precious.

"Now let's go before everyone starts looking for us."