CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Začít od začátku

"Stay away from me."

Her words left me cold.

"What?"

She walked to the door and I got there before she closed the door. She looked frightened.

"What's all of this, why you behaving this way?"

I walked closer to her, she walked backward. Then I grabbed her by her arm pain flashed across her face. She pushed my hand from her arm. The sleeve from her robe pulled up revealing blue marks on her arm. She noticed I saw it and tried to cover it up.

"Rose what happened?"

I asked pulling her closer to me, ripping the sleeves from her skin. Her arms were covered with red and blue hand marks. I looked at her but she turned her head away avoiding my eyes. I felt anger burning inside of me as to who could do this to her and why I couldn't protect her.

"Who did this and don't lie!"

She kept avoiding my eyes. I cupped her chin with my hand making her look at me.

"Tell me!"

I raised my voice I couldn't hide my frustration.

She closed her eyes, breathing in and out. Rose looked at me with tears in her eyes.

"You did."

I let my hand fall from her face as scenes from last night started to play out in front of me.

I fell to my knees in front of her. Placing my arms against her baby bump. Tears fell down my face. I looked up to her, wanting her forgiveness.

She tore her eyes from mine and I knew then I took it too far.

"I never meant to..."

She held her hand on her stomach, pain flashing over her face.

"Is the baby alright?"

I was panicking I've never seen Rose in this state and I don't know what to do.

"The baby... what about me? You haven't asked if I'm okay after you tried to force yourself on me last night after I had to fight you off fearing for my and the baby's life." She said crying drastically.

I tried to comfort her wanted so badly for her to comfort me in return.

"Don't..."

Pain shoot through her abdomen and her legs gave in underneath her... I caught her before she connected to the floor. I picked her up carrying her in my arms over to the bed. I laid her down gently smoothing her hair from her face. Placing a kiss on her forehead.

"I'll go get help."

********

I've been pacing in front of Rose's bedroom door for the last 20 minutes. My hands turned into fists against my side.

I heard low whispers and then the door opened. Marlene steps out of the room giving me a dangerous stare before closing the door behind her.

"Mrs. Costello and the baby went into a little shock but everything is under control now. Let's try to keep it that way. I advise you to keep your temper at bay and keep your hands to yourself. She's resting now."

She said looking at me with anger... I wanted to send her packing but she's only doing her job although she could keep her advice to herself. She walks past me stopping midway.

"Between the two of us, I'd say she was lucky today if the baby went into a lot more of stress and I wasn't able to calm them both... who knows what could have happened."

I look at her when she walks off.  I could've caused Rose to lose our baby? Reality sinks in and it hurts like putting pressure onto a gun wound.

I walk inside the room walking silently to the bed I watch her sleep. She looks so peaceful sleeping. I place a kiss on her forehead and her baby bump.

"I don't ever want to lose you or our baby. I'm so sorry for everything... I hope you can forgive me."

The words were barely a whisper. I sat down in the chair next to the bed. Placed her smaller hand in my bigger one.

"I'll make up for it for the rest of my life... I promise. I love you, Rose."

Rose POV

I hear Dante's words but remained to stay asleep. He was hurting and so was I.

I once used to feel safe around him but after last night all of that changed. The images of him still play over in my head over and over, haunting me in my sleep.

He was a whole different person, the hurt blazing in his eyes made him bitter.

I woke up finding him next to my bed. He was sleeping on the little sofa. It made him look like a giant.

Pulling the sheets off me I try to get off the bed. When I finally managed to get off the bed I headed towards the door.

My body was still in a little pain. It felt as if I lost some weight. When the nurse came yesterday I feared I might go into early labor or even lose the baby. She'd been able to calm the baby down injecting me with medicine that made me drowsy.

I can remember Dante walking into the room soon after she had left. My eyelids felt heavy I couldn't remain awake. He spoke to the baby in English but mostly Italian.

I entered the room it all started in, it was neat everything back to its original place.

The bathroom door has been replaced with a brand new one. I took my suitcase and packed my clothes. I needed to keep my mind busy.

The door opened and I hadn't noticed Dante walking in.

"You're leaving?"

I turn around to look him in his eyes then I divert my attention back to my packing.

He walked closer placing his hand on my arm. I sat the clothes down then turned to face him.

"And where will I go? Anywhere I'd go you'll find me. You'll take my child from me so why would I risk doing something so stupid?"

He turned away, fist clinching against his side. I could see his knuckles turning white.

I was playing with fire and it might just burn me. Hell, it may even mean my death.

He turned back towards me. He looked genuinely hurt by my words. I wanted to kiss him telling him I would never leave even if I wanted to.

"We're leaving for Italy tonight."

His words were soft and full of hurt.

"Aren't we going to the UK first?"

"They can call, e-mail, skype. I don't care."

"Can we go tomorrow I'm still tired? I just need to rest a little while longer."

"I understand."

He walked to the door and stood in it before turning around.

"Rose, I'm sorry about last night. It will never happen again. I promise." Then he walked out the door.

I could only cry as I continued folding my clothes.

I felt trapped.

But still, I loved him...

Don't forget to comment and vote.