Chapter 48

"Welcome, everyone, to the first annual Black event since the late Mr. Finn Black."

Ariana looked back at Jace who immediately found her gaze. She gave him a small smile and wanted to reach out and place her hand in his but held back and looked back at the stage.

"I know we've all been waiting for what seems like a long time to bring back this event that was started by the former CEO of BLACK Industry. I'm sure we're all pleased to be here for not only the success of the company but for Mr. Jace Black; current CEO of BLACK'S Industry and..."

"I'm sorry I'm late."

Ariana, Jace and Charlotte looked up to find Mark who stopped behind Charlotte's chair and gave her a kiss and Jace clenched his jaw.

What the heck is he doing here?
Ariana wondered as she glanced at Jace to gauge his mood,

"Where have you been?" She asked him, "Thought you changed your mind."

Ariana reached out and placed her hand on his arm. Jace shifted his gaze to her and she smiled trying to get him to calm down. She was glad when she saw him sigh.

Mark looked at Ariana and smiled,
"Ariana?" He made his way around the table and took the seat next to her, "Nice to see you here."

Ariana turned to look at Mark and felt Jace's arm stiffen,
"Hello, Mark," She greeted, "What are you doing here?"

She asked the question she and no doubt, Jace wanted an answer to.

"Yes, Mark. What are you doing here? I remember telling Bridget not to add your name to the list." Jace said,

"I added his name." Charlotte said and they all turned to her.

"Why would you do that?" Jace asked her, "You know how important tonight is. Why would you do something to jeopardize that."

"Calm down, Jace." She said, "You have to learn to co-exist with him."

Ariana caught the quick glance Charlotte spared Mark and something about it didn't sit right with her.

"Both of you should put away your differences tonight and enjoy the event that Finn started." Charlotte said,

Jace took a moment before he felt Ariana's hand slide down his arm and her fingers locked with his. He sighed and looked back at the stage not saying another word.

"So," Mark looked at Ariana, "How about we go on another date?"

It wasn't a date idiot.
Jace wanted to say but just tightened his grip on Ariana's hand.

"I can't," Ariana said, "I have a lot going on with work."

And you're my wife.

"Work?" Jace asked, "I thought after the huge deal I hear Jace pulled you'd at least get some time to celebrate."

"Yes," Ariana said "Lots."

"But what..." He began

"She isn't going on a date with you," Jace said, "Stop pestering her and if you can't, I suggest you leave."

"Calm down, bro," Mark said before he turned to the stage,

Ariana could feel Jace seething beside her and she turned to look at him,
"Hey," She gave his hand a squeeze, "Just ignore him." She whispered.

He smiled and lifted their hands and placed a kiss on the back of her hand.

They managed to get through the first half of the event and some time along then Jace's hand had found its way to her bare leg which became very uncomfortable for her. She was finding it hard to concentrate on everything that was happening on the stage, from the live comedy to live music to bidding on willing women for charity and to speeches and so on. Time ticked by and it was time for Jace to make his speech.