Chapter 7

Jace was mad with everyone and everything. Especially after finding out why he'd been bombarded with questions about Heather. He liked being aware of a situation before walking into something that would address that situation. If he'd known about it, he would have maybe listened to Green and stayed in the car. He was usually asked questions about the company and some other gossip relating to him, which he was always made aware of before walking into it blind. Today hadn't been the case.

Apparently, Bridget knew about the 'Heather' situation. It was all over the news this morning and she figured if it was on the news and not in some gossip magazine, that he wouldn't miss it. But he had.

Heather was spotted with her partner, her girlfriend, locking lips. Jace hadn't been very surprised. He was aware of Heather's sexual preference but they'd come to a mutual understanding of being together publicly. She would join him at social events and keep her sexual preference private while she stepped into the spotlight. It had been going great, until now.

He'd been surprised when Green walked into his office defending Bridget. Just having her in the same room as him brought him a sense of calm. He knew it wasn't because she was there to protect him but something that had to do with her as a person.

Then he'd stupidly today her she was fired without thinking about it, and instead of taking it and leaving like everyone else did, she'd shut him up by putting him in his place.

Jace smirked just thinking about how unfazed she'd seem after he told her she was fired. She hadn't even blinked. She'd taken it with ease and then thrown it back in his face then walked out like she didn't care what he did. Maybe she didn't but she cared enough about Bridget to come and talk to him like that in his office, so she did care what he did.

He liked her fiery side. Something in him wanted to take her into his arms and quench that fire he saw in her eyes, calm her down and at the same time add fuel and let them both burn.

Jace shut his eyes and took in a deep breath before exhaling slowly through his mouth.

What the fuck was he thinking?

After he calmed down, he opened his eyes.

He knew Green was right. He was letting his personal drama affect his professional life and he knew he would never get anyone who works as hard as Bridget does. Or anyone who could do anything and everything she does so flawlessly. She'd been with the company for so long, at this point she was an asset.

Jace sighed and glanced at his office door before turning around and heading towards it. As soon as he opened his office door, Green was on her feet and Bridget was near her desk, slowly pacing back and forth.

Ariana could already tell by the look on his face as he watched Bridget who stopped pacing when she saw Jace heading towards her.

"Mr. Black." She looked nervous.

"I'm sorry."

Both Bridget and Ariana were surprised by the apology but neither said anything.

"I shouldn't have fired you. None of this is your fault and you're the best employee I've ever had - this company has ever had," He said, "If I ever get angry and fire you, don't take me seriously. You're irreplaceable."

Bridget was shocked but she smiled.

"And you're more than just an employee to me. You're...family."

"Thank you." Bridget finally said,

Jace smiled and nodded before he turned around and saw Green smiling at Bridget. He hadn't seen her smile before and he was frozen on the spot by how it changed not just her entire face but her energy. Ariana's gaze shifted from Bridget to Jace and her smile disappeared instantly and just like that, she was back to her old self.