Chapter 11

"Where the hell am I gonna sit?" I thought to myself. Lunch, my least favorite part of the day. Where I was basically forced to be social unless I wanted to be labeled at the weird girl who sits alone at lunch. I looked around for Pinkman from first hour, but I didn't see him.

No one else has really been that friendly to me today besides the teachers. He didn't even really seem like the type to be so friendly with the new girl on her first day. He seemed more like a straight D student who cared more about his friends than school. But maybe he was different than all of the baggy jean-ed, huge jacket-wearing guys I'd ever met.

"I give up," I whispered to myself, and I plopped my lunch tray down on a empty table.

I picked at the school food, trying to scavenge for something remotely edible. I finally just gave up and pushed my tray away. I pulled out my iPod and put on some depressing music. I sighed and thought about my best friend, and only friend for that matter, back at home.

"Is anyone sitting here, or?" I heard someone ask awkwardly behind me.

"No," I said. He sat down. I knew it was Pinkman before I saw him.

We sat there still and quiet for a good minutes until he broke the silence.

"My first name's Jesse," he said.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" I question, looking him in the eyes.

"I, uh, thought you were really beautiful. And I could tell you're a good person, just by looking at you."

"But you don't seem like the type to-"

"I'm not, really. You think I'm a weed-smoking asshole who skip school to get high, and that's exactly what I am. Yo, there's just something different about you."

***

I crunched on my bowl of Cheerios, waiting and waiting for Jesse to come home.

It's been hours, and he's late. He said he'd be back at six. Now it's seven and I'm starting to worry.

I was about to call him when my phone rang. Blocked number? I answered it.

"Hanna, it's Mr. White," I heard through the phone.

"Yeah, when's Jesse coming home?" I asked, sort of irritated.

"He never got here, Hanna. I had to cook it myself. I was hoping he'd be home."

"He's been gone since noon. Where the hell is he, Mr. White?" I started tearing up.

"I don't know. We'll find him. Just stay home. Don't go anywhere, we could be in danger."

"What? What do you mean danger?"

Silence.

"Just stay inside and lock the doors." He hung up.

"MR. WHITE!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, even though I knew he couldn't hear me. I threw my phone against the wall.

"Oh no, oh no," I started panicking because that's the only form of contact I had with Jesse.

"Thank God," I exhaled when I found it wasn't broken.

I sat on the couch and tried to think of something, anything, I could do. I couldn't call the police, considering all the illegal shit Jesse's been doing. There was no other option than to go looking for him.

I grabbed Aunt Ginny's station wagon keys and headed for the door, but I stopped. I sprinted upstairs and took the hand gun we kept in the nightstand.

I wiped a tear from my face and locked the door behind me when I left. The car smelled like cigarettes and old lady perfume. I sat there inhaling the scent, and I realized I had no idea wear to look for Jesse. I hadn't really paid attention when we'd gone to his workplace, and Mr. White would find him on his way home if he was anywhere along those lines. I couldn't think of anywhere to go or what to do, so I went to a bar.

"Your best whiskey," I whispered to the bar tender.

"You got it," he said and rummaged under the counter. "What're you in for?"

I chuckled, "You wouldn't understand."

"Try me," he smiled.

"My, uh- dog died," I lied.

"Sorry to hear that- ?"

"Hanna," I told him.

"I'm Blake, and if you need to talk, my shift ends in ten minutes."

"No thanks, I'm good," I fake smiled.

He set my drink in front of me, "I'll be here until 8 if you change your mind."

I nodded and sipped my whiskey. Then someone sat next to me.

"Hey there pretty girl, you look lonely," an older man smiled, revealing a missing front tooth.

"I'm engaged," I spat in his face.

"Well where is he? Your fiancé? Not here."

"What are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying, he'll never know what he doesn't see," he squinted his eyes and smiled.

"You're right."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Lucky for you, he'll never have to kick your ass for harassing me. And he'll never have to know I've been in a bar fight." I punched the bastard in the left eye.

"You fuckin' bitch!" He howled.

I left a twenty on the bar and left. My hand throbbed. I'd never hit someone so hard. My red knuckles were turning purple.

"Dammit," I whispered under my breath.

I didn't know what else to do, so I went home and cried.

**SO sorry for short chapter! I'll write a long one tomorrow, I've had volleyball a lot! <3**