Chapter 7

"I really like this one," I say, stoping to look as I scroll through a list of cheap apartments. "It's in San Francisco."

Jesse walked up and set his chin on my shoulder to inspect my findings.

"Me too. But I was thinking. Maybe we should move back to New Mexico. "

"But I thought you were expanding business?" I questioned.

"Yeah, but my aunt's cancer got real bad. Needs someone to look after her."

"Oh. Well that's unquestionable. If your aunts needs you, we'll go help her." I stated.

"Thanks, Hanna," Jesse said as I received a light kiss on the cheek. "There's a flight tomorrow morning. I all ready bought
the tickets."

"Sounds good." I confirm. "So, what exactly will I be doing in your little 'business' again?"

I'm not going to lie, the whole thing still seemed surreal. Several times I thought I'd open my eyes and find Jesse lying next to me in bed and realize I'd had a bad dream.

"I can't have you doing anything too dangerous. I can't lose you. You know I'd rather keep you out of this whole shit storm."

"I've all ready heard this lecture, Jesse. But I'm not letting you do this alone."

"And I've heard the hell out of that lecture. You'll be distributing the product. In public places. No dark alleys and shit. Yo, you can go to a Starbucks for all I care. Just make sure there's people around. And make sure no one's following you when you leave."

Sweat ran down my neck. I was nervous, not only of bringing illegal drugs into a public place but possibly being followed home by a junkie.

"Are you sure you want to do this? Damn it. Damn me for letting you into this. I'm such an idiot." Jesse interrupted my thoughts.

"Jesse, I told you. I'm not letting you in this alone. And this is what we need to do to keep money flowing, to live. A job at a fast food place can't pay the bills forever."

Still trying to wrap my head around the idea that I could die during my "work", I closed my laptop and plopped down on the bed. What the hell did I get myself into?

I pulled the bed sheet over my half naked body and cuddled up to a pillow. Soon, Jesse's arm was around me and his head was nestled into my neck. I fell asleep.

***

We woke up late, 12:36 p.m. The flight was at 2:10. We rushed to get all of our things so we wouldn't miss our flight.

***

I inhaled the New Mexico air, sticking my arm out of the passenger window. Our rented Dodge Charger glided smoothly on the asphalt. We pulled into the driveway Jesse's aunt's house. It looked really gloomy and eerie, the house. Vines twisted in and our of the crevices and corners on the outside. A cracked window mended with a cardboard slab was displayed next to the front door.

"Here we are," Jesse chimed.

"Here we are," I echoed.

A white car pulled in next to us and parked in the driveway.

"Who the hell is that?" My voice cracked.

"My friend. He's in the business."

I sighed and unbuckled my seatbelt.

"Yooo, what's going on man?" Jesse said to his friend who I strangely recognized. "Hanna, this is-"

"Shit, Badger!" I cut Jesse off.

"Wait, you two know each other?" Jesse asked seeming concerned.

"Hell yeah! Shorty and I used to smoke weed together I'm high school," Badger half yelled.

"I had no idea you guys used to hang out?" Jesse had a jealous tone in his voice, which I smiled at.

"Damn, seems like forever ago," I went on for a hug with my old friend.

"So you're working with Jesse and White too, huh?" I asked Badger.

"Uh yeah, the vacuum sales business is booming these days," he stuttered.

"She knows, Badger," Jesse cut in. "Meet your new co worker."

"Seriously bro? Yo, Hanna's the last person I'd expat to be dating you dude, let alone selling meth." Badger spouted.

"Not dating," I corrected and held up my left hand, wiggling my ring finger.

"Woah, Jesse, you popped the question? Right on brother!" Jesse and Badger high-fived.

"Okay, well I'm going to start taking my stuff inside," I said so I could leave them to catch up.

I unlocked the door and dropped my bags on a couch I saw when I walked in.

"Hello?" My voice echoed through the house. "Hello? Aunt Ginny?"

Hearing no reply, I got pretty worried. I searched the house, ending with the master bedroom. I found Ginny, lying on the bed with a still chest and her eyes closed. I checked for a pulse. Shit.

"Jesse!" I screamed and dialed 911.