Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Jesse, we're gonna be late, wake up," I whispered in my boyfriend's ear as he lay asleep in my queen size bed.

"Babe, can't you just tell them you're sick? Come back to bed," he moaned, his eyes still closed.

I kissed him and whispered again, "We're gonna be late."

Curling iron in hand, I returned to the bathroom to finish my hair. We were meeting my parents that day, and I could tell Jesse was nervous, considering everything I've told my parents about him you wouldn't exactly consider "good". We've had our ups and downs, and the downs I've spent eating ice cream on my mother's couch venting about all the wrong Jess had done this time. But I really loved him, and I was sure. And he was sure I'd changed him for the better, which I really hoped.

As I bent down to spit out my toothpaste, I felt arms wrap around my midsection. I smiled and tilted my head upward to kiss him gently. I could see he was dressed in nice jeans and a pin-striped button up.

"You almost ready?" I asked him, hoping for a yes. We were suppose to meet my parents at Barry's Cafe a half an hour ago.

"Yeah, I just need to brush my teeth," he said as he unbuckled his arms from me and picked up the toothpaste.

I turned from the sink to hug him, burying my face into his chest. "They're going to love you, because I do. And they want what's best for me. And you are what's best for me."

"But what about-" he started, but I cut him off.

"Forget that. Forget everything that happened because of that. Don't mention it, just be you. Be the you that I love."

"Okay..." He kissed me on the head and starting brushing his teeth.

***

"Jesse, what the hell is this?" I screamed at him. What in the hell did he think he was doing?

"It's nothing, just give it back, and I'll throw it away." He argued.

"No, I know this is meth. I'm not an idiot!" I held up the mini plastic bag that held light green crystal meth. I dropped it on the ground and started crying.

"Don't cry, I'll stop. I promise you, Hanna. I'll get help."

"How long, Jesse? How long have you been doing this behind my back?" I sobbed. He never seemed like his kind of person to me.

"Not long, just a couple months. That's all, babe, come on." His pleas made more tears swell in my eyes. My smeared mascara and eye liner came off on my hand when I wiped the tears.

"Call me when you're clean," I whispered.

***

"So, when did you two meet again?" My mother question, her critical glare scanned Jesse up and down.

"We met in high school, when you guys moved to New Mexico." Jesse replied. I could feel him sweating as our hands intertwined under the table.

"I've heard a lot about you, boy," my father mentioned.

"Yes, Mr. Winters, we've been through a lot." His icy blue eyes glanced at me.

We ate our meal in mostly silence, until my mother abruptly asked, "So, how does if feel?"

"Excuse me?" Jesse asked.

"The," she whispered, "meth."

"I have to go," Jesse said frantically. He quickly got up from him chair, nearly knocking our the table with his knees, and he went to the car.

"Way to go, mother!" I shouted so the whole restaurant looked at us.

As I exited the restaurant, I could see Jesse's face in his hands. I knocked on the window so he'd let me in.

"Let's go," I said immediately. "We can talk at home."

"No, I want to talk now. Why would she ask that? Doesn't she know I'm not that guy anymore? I mean, what the hell Hanna? Haven't you told your family I'm not just a worthless junkie?"

He was really crying now. I wanted to take him home and hug him and kiss him and tell him he's not worthless, that he's everything to me. I don't care what my parents thought. We could move far away and never look back.

"I love you. That's what matters." I said.

This is the first time I'd seen Jesse cry since he saw me the first day he got our of rehab.

He started the car and we went home.